1966 Rack & Pinion Oil drain

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Rayzan
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Trying to change leaky pinion seal. I have the old one out, and some of the rear end oil has leaked out. Thought it would be nice to drain and replace the oil but there's no drain plug. Thoughts? Or just put it back together and top up the oil? Thanks

We're an all Thunderbird site, so you can omit the make & model of your car in the title. I shortened your lengthy title "Replace pinion seal - 1966 Ford Thunderbird - how do you drain the oil"

Last edited:
I take it you mean ring and pinion.. You could try this pump from amazon and pump out the old gear oil..
Or just loosen the bolts that hold the carrier in the rear end housing and drain it that way..
Good luck
Ed
Guys don’t understand the design of the Ford 9” axle. If you use a pump, or loosen the center section, you never get the “bottom” of the housing drained. If there were any metal chunks in there (and there always is), they will still be in there when you refill with fresh fluid. Some of these axles are 60+years old! The proper and only way to do this is to pull the axles, and then the center section. Then scrape, wash, and wipe down the inside of the housing. (When you pull the center section, there will still be 1/2” deep pool of oil in there.) Clean it all out! Install a new gasket, assemble and fill, and drive another 60 years!

Guys don’t understand the design of the Ford 9” axle. If you use a pump, or loosen the center section, you never get the “bottom” of the housing drained. If there were any metal chunks in there (and there always is), they will still be in there when you refill with fresh fluid. Some of these axles are 60+years old! The proper and only way to do this is to pull the axles, and then the center section. Then scrape, wash, and wipe down the inside of the housing. (When you pull the center section, there will still be 1/2” deep pool of oil in there.) Clean it all out! Install a new gasket, assemble and fill, and drive another 60 years!

Thanks so much for the great information. When people share the correct knowledge it goes a long ways in helping others not to make mistakes.. Sure hoping there is no "metal chunks", as that might mean a costly repair is needed.
Take care
Ed

Thanks so much for the great information. When people share the correct knowledge it goes a long ways in helping others not to make mistakes.. Sure hoping there is no "metal chunks", as that might mean a costly repair is needed.
Take care
Ed
And, the proper description would be “Ring and Pinion”. Rack and pinion has to do with steering on a newer car….

Trying to change leaky pinion seal. I have the old one out, and some of the rear end oil has leaked out. Thought it would be nice to drain and replace the oil but there's no drain plug. Thoughts? Or just put it back together and top up the oil? Thanks
Thanks for the replies and advice received. It's been quite a while since I requested some help, and since then I decided to pull the rear end. I pulled the axles and differential cover and pinion and cleaned everything up. There was sludge in the oil but no evidence of metal. Replaced gaskets and pinion seal along with installation of a new crush sleeve and axle seals. Did some painting and have reinstalled along with new leaf springs.

Back