1966 Old school wide white walls

S
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I found a set of bias ply 6.7 x 15
I think they would look great
Will they fit? Mostly worried about the diameter it's about half inch bigger than the current 215x70x15 on it now
Trying to convert the old numbering tk new is confusing I believe I have 6 inch trims
Just bought the car last week.so newbie here

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Add the model year of car in the subject on future posts. Added for you.
model-year.jpg

Sjc,

What year is your car. I see that @biddle added 66, but nowhere in your post do you let the reader know the year. 1956 was the last year that Ford put 15" tires on a T-Bird. Are your wheels original? You also stated you found some bias ply tires. How old are these tires? If over 10 years they are unsafe and the only thing a respectable tire shop will do with old tires is remove them from wheels and install tires less that 10 years. They will not even put air in old tires. You also don't want bias ply tires. Even new ones are not safe if you plan on driving your car. If you drive over a lateral grooves in the pavement with bias ply, you will switch lanes. Coker tire sells wide white radial in 14 and 15 inch sizes. I have then on my 56 and they look and ride great. They have modern day construction.

Sorry to bust your butt, I was a newbie at one time. See if you can verify the original tire size was when the car was new. Coker and other sites have conversion charts from bias to radial. Save you dollars for a set of WW Coker radials.

Good luck with you T-Bird,
Steve

BTW, If you look at my photo album, the pictures with the model and the hallow around them, the car has Coker radials, the others have Goodyear bias ply. There hanging in my garage now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent advice w/r to "Old Tires". One might even make the case that 10 years is to old to be using tires no matter how good they look. There has been a lot written on this, I am in the 8 to 9 years being the upper limit on tires. I currently have a set of Diamond Backs on my T-Bird.

Sjc,

What year is your car. I see that @biddle added 66, but nowhere in your post do you let the reader know the year. 1956 was the last year that Ford put 15" tires on a T-Bird. Are your wheels original? You also stated you found some bias ply tires. How old are these tires? If over 10 years they are unsafe and the only thing a respectable tire shop will do with old tires is remove them from wheels and install tires less that 10 years. They will not even put air in old tires. You also don't want bias ply tires. Even new ones are not safe if you plan on driving your car. If you drive over a lateral grooves in the pavement with bias ply, you will switch lanes. Coker tire sells wide white radial in 14 and 15 inch sizes. I have then on my 56 and they look and ride great. They have modern day construction.

Sorry to bust your butt, I was a newbie at one time. See if you can verify the original tire size was when the car was new. Coker and other sites have conversion charts from bias to radial. Save you dollars for a set of WW Coker radials.

Good luck with you T-Bird,
Steve

BTW, If you look at my photo album, the pictures with the model and the hallow around them, the car has Coker radials, the others have Goodyear bias ply. There hanging in my garage now.
Sorry but you are wrong my 1964 bird has stock 15x7 steel wheels on it

I found a set of bias ply 6.7 x 15
I think they would look great
Will they fit? Mostly worried about the diameter it's about half inch bigger than the current 215x70x15 on it now
Trying to convert the old numbering tk new is confusing I believe I have 6 inch trims
Just bought the car last week.so newbie here
They'll work I have 225\75 15 in my 64

This should help on size interchange
TIRE SIZE conversion-chart.png

Back