1966 Fuel pump issues

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1966 Ford Thunderbird 390 engine four barrel fuel pump was out change the fuel pump with a new aftermarket will not pump fuel try another fuel pump same problem can take the fuel pump off put it in a canna gas manually do it by hand and pumps fuel it’s like this Centrix not move in the army now has anybody else had this

I have a 1966 Ford Thunderbird 390 engine four barrel fuel pump was out change the fuel pump with a new aftermarket will not pump fuel try another fuel pump same problem can take the fuel pump off put it in a canna gas manually do it by hand and pumps fuel it’s like this Centrix not move in the army now has anybody else had this
Are you sure that you have the lever under the eccentric on that drives the lever up and down to pump fuel? Are you getting fuel from the tank to the fuel pump? Thse are two items you may want to check. good luck, J.

In my experience after market fuel pumps are made in China and they suck. My 57 pump started leaking a little so I ordered a carter fuel pump (now made in China). The first one was clocked 180 degrees off so I could not install it. The second one I installed but it would not pump fuel. The third one I got my car started, it ran about 30 minutes and stopped working. Had to have it towed home. The new Carter pumps say they are not rebuildable so I did not even try. I tightened up the nuts on my original and put it back on and it woks fine. I am now looking for an original US made pump to rebuild so I will always have an extra. Good luck to you on this. Don’t waste your money on Carter.

just a thought, if the vent on the fuel tank is blocked it will stop the pump working!

In my experience after market fuel pumps are made in China and they suck. My 57 pump started leaking a little so I ordered a carter fuel pump (now made in China). The first one was clocked 180 degrees off so I could not install it. The second one I installed but it would not pump fuel. The third one I got my car started, it ran about 30 minutes and stopped working. Had to have it towed home. The new Carter pumps say they are not rebuildable so I did not even try. I tightened up the nuts on my original and put it back on and it woks fine. I am now looking for an original US made pump to rebuild so I will always have an extra. Good luck to you on this. Don’t waste your money on Carter.
Fuel pumps used to be able to be rebuilt. the major failure was the diaphragm. There is no money in selling diaphragms. Hen fuel pumps began to have folder over sheet metal connections rather than the scrws to hold the upper and lower portions together, hence no rebuilding possible. Curse you Robert McNamara and your planned obsolescence.

Since the problem started when you changed the fuel pump, I suspect the two fuel line connections on the pump are reversed.

This sounds to me like a clogged fuel line. Remove the fuel filter(s), then take the line off of the carb. With compressed air and rubber tipped nozzle, blow the line back to the filter connection. Wrap a rag loosly around the point(s) where air will exit and wrap electrical tape around the line and the ends of the rag so it doesn't blow off under pressure and captures the crud and fuel. If you really want to do it right, drop the tank and do the same all the way back to that connection.

The 66 Ford thunderbirds have a filter screen on the pickup line on the sending unit in the fuel tank. They also have alength of flex line that runs from the fuel pump over the wheel house and connects (IIRC) to a steel line under the drivers feet. Either item can be an issue.

Don't discount post #2 about the pump actuating arm resting properly on the push rod.
I can tell you on small block Chevys that you can completely tighten the fuel pump mounting bolts and if you didn't get the arm and rod positioned correctly - no fuel will pump. Putting the engine at Top Dead Center before installing the pump usually makes this easier.

Back