1966 FE 390 Performance Upgrade

M

My1966T-Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anybody done a performance upgrade to their FE 390 engine. I am looking at using Edelbrock's Performer RPM kit (stock #: 2044). This will increase the HP from 315 to 418. In addition, I want to use Edelbrock's Carburetor AVS2 (SKU: #1906) - 650 cfm. Has anyone done this upgrade? Results? Suggestions? Input?

The F/E series engine is very easy to get more power from. However you need to check if your engine is mounted at 0 or 2.5 degrees. It matters because of how the intake manifold is machined. I know the '61 to 63 are at 0. I don't know when they changed it.

Has anybody done a performance upgrade to their FE 390 engine. I am looking at using Edelbrock's Performer RPM kit (stock #: 2044). This will increase the HP from 315 to 418. In addition, I want to use Edelbrock's Carburetor AVS2 (SKU: #1906) - 650 cfm. Has anyone done this upgrade? Results? Suggestions? Input?
I am also attempting to do the same thing. Same year t bird, same engine, same kit. From what I understand and have read, there are dozens of different ways to build this engine. It all depends on how deep you wanna get into the build. The kit you and I are looking at seems to be pretty much just pull and replace. Unless you’re looking for a different bore or cooking the block. But still would be really cool add-ons to the build. I plan on boring and cooking the engine and tranny.

74 Harley is right about the manifold. The other FE platform cars (like the Galaxie) mounted the motor at a slight angle; only the TBird kept it level. Easy solution is a wedge carb pad, very common. Phenolic ones are better than the metal but watch out for cheap plastic that LOOKS like phenolic but isn't -they can't take the heat. Watch for the cooler lines that Ford often ran to their stock carb pad; if you can't use them, splice them together to keep the flow.
I LOVE performance builds of these, and the Performer RPM is a good manifold for them. Bear in mind it shines at the higher RPM range; it's not an off-the-line unit (the 2105 "non-"RPM" gives you more of the line but doesn't hold torque quite as well past mid-range). I don't like the Eddy carbs though. The Holley Street Avenger 770 is my choice if you do more mods; the 650 Demon if you're stopping at the manifold & carb. Add their Performer RPM heads and now you're going somewhere (fast).
NOW - my opinion. I think the BEST thing you can do to the 390 (or ANY FE) is to LET IT BREATHE! Ford's exhaust manifold for these is a JOKE. Unlike the Galaxies though, there is far less room between those giant shock towers under the Bird's hood. The BEST mod IMHO to get your Bird to really fly is a FPA manifold upgrade. Do yourself (and that motor) a BIG favor an go look at:
(Hope the Moderator can make a buck from that - if not he'll "fix" it)
And by a set of his "Shortys". You use the 8-bolt standard flange. Don't mix it up with the CJ (CobraJet) parts. AND DO NOT BUY ANY OFF FLEABAY!!! They are garbage. I had 2 customers whose hearts were broken by the crap sold there.
And keep them birds flyin' !

Update on mods to my fe 390 engine 1966 Thunderbird convertible. (1) - used a police intercept cam, just wanted not to get very radical for street driving. (2) - went with a Holley Sniper EFI "carburetor" system (comes with an electric fuel pump}. (3) - Sanderson Shorty Headers. (4) - Exhaust system - went from 2.5" at the manifold to 2.25" cherry bomb resonators and followed through with the same diameter for the exhaust. (5) - Aluminum radiator with transmission cooler & dual electric fans. (6) - For a customized exhaust look, I used 68/69 Corvette exhaust bevels and ran the exhaust straight out the back of the Bird. Got 99% of my parts from Summit Racing. Estimated new HP - 525

Upgraded the suspension - gas shocks, beefer front anti-sway bar, added rear anti-sway bar, & new rear springs - car now rides as good as a Cadillac

Back