1965 thunderbird 390 trans fluid.

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all, everyone was so helpful on my last question I figured I’d try again. I’m going through my car checking all the fluids and wanted to check the trans fluid just to make sure the main seal is good. Does it have a dipstick or indicator and where would I add the fluid if it does need it? Thanks in advance for any help.

Your car will have a dipstick. If it needs fluid, you simply pour it down the dipstick tube. (After you remove the dipstick).

The dipstick, at least on my 1964, is on the right side of the engine toward the rear. Rather, on the left side as you're standing in front of the car. BE SUPER CAREFUL! You need to check the fluid level with the motor idling, in neutral or park. If you've owned one of these cars for more than five minutes, you know how sloppy the column shifter can be, even on a good day! This is a two=person job; someone sits in the car, ready to hit the brake if needed, while someone else checks the fluid level.

If it's determined you need fluid, get a funnel and pour it down the dipstick tube.

Remember, this car takes Type F tranny fluid.

Thank you very much that’s exactly what I was looking for. I’ll check it tomorrow when I’m free.

I certainly agree with that cautionary note! I carry wood chocks in the trunk and use them religiously when running the car and working under the hood.

One other piece of advice is to check the color and odor of the transmission fluid. The fluid should be bright reddish/purple, not brown, and should not smell burned. If either of those conditions exist, it should be changed and if you haven't done so already, take it to a good transmission shop that can drop the pan, change internal filters and tighten bands if need be. They could also check the accelerator and downshift linkages to make sure it's upshifting and downshifting correctly.

Back