1965 thunder lady

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi everybody, first of all,I want to thank everyone for letting me be part of this community,
I have a 1965 thunderbird w/o ac that I bought 8 month ago and started to repair, now I replaced the radiator and surge tank and thermostat, there was no thermostat in it when I took it apart, now it still seems to over heat,
I can hear the coolant boil in the surge tank, any advice? thanks in advance

i drained the antifreeze out of mine and put 2 bottles of prestone cooling system flush in and filled with water. drove it about a 100 miles drained and flushed until water runs clear. put fresh antifreeze in and presto, no more running hot

Hi everybody, first of all,I want to thank everyone for letting me be part of this community,
I have a 1965 thunderbird w/o ac that I bought 8 month ago and started to repair, now I replaced the radiator and surge tank and thermostat, there was no thermostat in it when I took it apart, now it still seems to over heat,
I can hear the coolant boil in the surge tank, any advice? thanks in advance
do you have a shroud? if not install one, next step would be a aftermarket cooling fan, good cool luck to you!

Although it shouldn’t overheat without the shroud and electric fan if everything is up to snuff.

There has been many hot rods that had have overheating issues that were solved when the builder added a fan shroud to insure the maximum amount of air is routed through the radiator.

Got a dumb question: I don't know what's wrong with my car, but let's assume it's the radiator. What do you all recommend? This Florida car has a bored-out 390; with A/C that I'd like to get working someday, not that concerned at this point about originality, just want the motor to run cool and not have to replace it again next week. Standard, more rows, aluminum, something else? Don't want an electric fan if I can help it.

Sure. This is a stock ‘64, right?

Why not have the radiator inspected and flow tested. If it doesn’t pass, I’d recommend having it repaired versus buying an aftermarket radiator.

Sarasota Radiator is excellent! They actually rebuilt this radiator already, but it was somewhere around 15 years ago. It WAS removed and tested by another shop very recently; no clogging but today's problem is a leak (and not sure if it's the radiator or something else). What I'm wondering is, is there any benefit to replacing it with an aluminum, or extra row type, or am I better off with the stock?

Back