1965 t-Bird signal fender lights not flashing

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
inspector

inspector

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I put a new electronic flasher in my car today. The signal lights work great now. However, The indicator lights on the fenders come on but don't flash. Not electrically enclined so any help would be appreciated.

I updated your subject from
1965 t-Bird signal lights
To
1965 t-Bird signal fender lights not flashing

Shall I assume this is in reference to the front indicators that the driver sees?
Jody

I tried removing the bulb from my wife's car, and I failed.
I may try making a tool.
J

I'm not sure of your reasoning. What are you hoping to find out by removing the bulb? My bulbs work, they just don't flash. I've heardd of people making a tool out of a nickle to remove the ring which holds the lens in place. Ive also heard there is a spring behind the lens so be careful you don't loose some parts.

1st thing to check: are the back lights and front bumper lights flashing?

If the fender lights are “on”, there is no reason to attempt to remove the bulb, as they are single element bulbs: if they come on, they are working. Does your ‘65 have the sequential rear lights? Are they working? If you installed LED bulbs, you changed the Amperage draw on everything. You have to get Flashers that are specific for LEDs, for BOTH turn signals AND 4 way emergency lights. (Your car has 2: one by steering column, and one near fuse box on right side of dash).

Thanks for the tip on the nickel. My wife's car has one that does not work (will check power in first).
J

Hello JJ Sharp
My 65 has sequential tail lights with normal filament bulbs. It does not have 4-way flashers. Something in the system must cause these indicator bulbs to flash. I just don't know what that might be.

Hello JJ Sharp
My 65 has sequential tail lights with normal filament bulbs. It does not have 4-way flashers. Something in the system must cause these indicator bulbs to flash. I just don't know what that might be.
The Emergency flashers were an option controlled from a toggle in the command console just under the clock pod. If you don't have that then you would need to find another way to create the E.F. system.

Well I finally figured out the problem with my signal lights. The problem was me. Apparently if you don't have the flasher properly grounded the indicator lights won't flash. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I don't feel too bad though. I'm only seventy years old so I still have lots of time to smarten up and learn a few things.

Well I finally figured out the problem with my signal lights. The problem was me. Apparently if you don't have the flasher properly grounded the indicator lights won't flash. IF ALL ELSE FAILS, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. I don't feel too bad though. I'm only seventy years old so I still have lots of time to smarten up and learn a few things.
TBirds, with their unibody construction, are really finicky about their grounds!

Which flasher did you replace?
The one under the dash on the pedal support or the emergency flasher in the right kick panel?

Hi cougarsunlimited

The one under the dash. The one you guys sell.

Yes, this relay must be grounded to work properly.
The ground is made through the mounting bracket.
I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem.

Which flasher did you replace?
The one under the dash on the pedal support or the emergency flasher in the right kick panel?
That isn't the one you need to replace...it is in the trunk. I had the same problem...look in the trunk on right side. It is behind the trunk lining kinda like behind the back seat,..but accessible through the trunk

Hey Blinky
The problem is solves. It was thw flasher under the dash. Just didn't have it grounded. By the way, I like your Bird. It's exactly the same as mine.

Back