1965 Swing away column problem?

Mr. Kelly

Mr. Kelly

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1965 swing away column will not stay in gear when turning corner. The column moves taking it out of gear to neutral. What do I do to fix this problem?

New shift lever and detent plate should do the trick.
Yup. Detent and gear shift. They wear poorly. You can replace them or weld in the void, and cut a new notch on the shifter. But there are plenty of good quality Used parts out there to just remove replace those.

Yup. Detent and gear shift. They wear poorly. You can replace them or weld in the void, and cut a new notch on the shifter. But there are plenty of good quality Used parts out there to just remove replace those.
they make repops of both available from most tbird suppliers

New shift lever and detent plate should do the trick.
Yes the shift lever and detente plate can wear out and cause the transmission to pop out of gear, but Mr. Kelly said the column itself is moving. It sounds like the swing away mechanism may not be fully latching into place.

Yes the shift lever and detente plate can wear out and cause the transmission to pop out of gear, but Mr. Kelly said the column itself is moving. It sounds like the swing away mechanism may not be fully latching into place.
There is an easy adjustment at the slide to adjust the latch. Utube has a couple of god tutorials on it. I’m currently switching my own out for an aftermarket chrome tilt that still slides. The system isn’t as complicated as I had previously thought

Back