1965 Steering gear box whine

R
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is there anything in a steering gear box (65 Tbird) that could whine when accelerating? I have almost no noise coming from the pump, the noise sounds is loudest inside the car and increases with acceleration. It seems to come from the left firewall area. I take the ps belt off and no noise.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Post the model year and a summary of your post in the subject. Revised for you.
model-year.jpg summary-of-post.jpg

Is there anything in a steering gear box (65 Tbird) that could whine when accelerating? I have almost no noise coming from the pump, the noise sounds is loudest inside the car and increases with acceleration. It seems to come from the left firewall area. I take the ps belt off and no noise.
Nothing in the box to cause a whine. It only moves when you are turning. The power steering is really only power assist. they pump goves power to the hydraulic ram to help ease the work of turning.
good luck, J.

Usually a whine is caused by air trapped in the system. Make sure your reservoir is full and turn the wheel full left and right to bleed the air from the system.

I bought a cheap replacement steering pump this spring so I could get my car on the road as my original one leaked like a sieve. Figured I could live with a cheap version while I have the original rebuilt this winter. Reviews stated that it was loud, and it definitely is. I tried making sure that there were no air pockets, and even threw in some power steering additives for noise to see if it'd help, but it didn't. I feel that in my case, the parts are just substandard quality and aren't machined well enough to work quietly, but I'm no engineer. Maybe this is what you have as well?

I bought a cheap replacement steering pump this spring so I could get my car on the road as my original one leaked like a sieve. Figured I could live with a cheap version while I have the original rebuilt this winter. Reviews stated that it was loud, and it definitely is. I tried making sure that there were no air pockets, and even threw in some power steering additives for noise to see if it'd help, but it didn't. I feel that in my case, the parts are just substandard quality and aren't machined well enough to work quietly, but I'm no engineer. Maybe this is what you have as well?

I agree about the cheap pumps, thats why I now use a rebuilt orig. Eaton. Didn't make any difference, the whine is still there. Used the Lucas additive also, no help. Whines on acceleration, can't hardly hear anything at idle. No leaks, have tried ever type air purge recommended...frustrated!!!

I agree about the cheap pumps, thats why I now use a rebuilt orig. Eaton. Didn't make any difference, the whine is still there. Used the Lucas additive also, no help. Whines on acceleration, can't hardly hear anything at idle. No leaks, have tried ever type air purge recommended...frustrated!!!
That's sad to hear that a rebuilt original Eaton has this problem; I figured that I knew I might have this problem since I was buying a $100 (or whatever it was) foreign remake. It appears mine makes the exact same sounds yours does. I'm hoping that since my original one was very quiet, once it's rebuilt, it will continue to be that way.

the air could caught in the wiper motor which are hydraulic...jack the car, start it and turn the wheel stop to stop with the wipers on, that might do it

If stock, the car would have vacuum wipers which is air, but doing what you describe will bleed air from the power steering pump.

Its completely original and definitely has PS hydraulic wipers. I've tried jacking it up on a hill, tires off ground, engine running, wipers on, and turned the wheel many times. Still whines!! Can air get trapped in the wiper mechanism? I have no air bubbles or foam in reservoir....

Ok I see it’s a 65 not a 55, I no nothing about a 65, sorry for the confusion
Suggest a large amp for your radio

Back