1965 gas gauge troubleshooting

inspector

inspector

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My gas gauge quit working yesterday. I've read that if you short the two terminals on the gauge it will read full and means your gauge is good. Mine doesn't do that. The needle has no movement. When I hook a circuit tester (not a continuity tester) to one terminal and ground it, I get a blinking light in the tester. This seems odd to me. I would have expected a continuous current. Any help on this problem would be appreciated. Electrical is not my strong point.

I added the word troubleshooting to your title.

If you short the wire at your sending unit to ground the gauge should go to full deflection. Just don't hold it to ground long at all as the gauge will have the full amount of current running thru it. If your gauge deflects then the problem is with your sending unit. If no deflection it could be the gauge or the associated wiring. If your Oil pressure and temp gauges are working that also rules out the voltage regulator being bad. I just replaced my sending unit on my 1964 and it was a pretty easy process.
Good luck
Ed

A mechanic replace my wife's voltage regulator, and deflection was halfed.
He thought the old one was bad (probable because it pulsed, and maybe he did not know they were designed to pulse).
Anhow, she (wife's car) has almost no gauge deflection.
What would be the way to restore gauge deflection?
J

Back