1965 Brake Booster & Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade

M

Mooney_Pilot

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am planning to upgrade to a dual master cylinder, and I will take the opportunity to dress-up the engine bay. The booster is working fine, but it may well be original (I have owned the car for 20 years) and I should replace it at the same time.

I am looking at Tuff Stuff brakes - we have a dealer in Canada, which makes shipping much easier. I have tried asking their Tech Support, but they don't seem to want to return calls or answer emails.

My existing booster is a Bendix, and I think it is 8". Tried measuring, but that is difficult in situ and I cannot find any reference anywhere that mentions the size. Since there seems to be reasonable clearance around the stock booster, I am thinking of using a 9" booster from Tuff Stuff. I would then couple that with a 1" bore master cylinder plus the matching proportioning valve. All these items I will get the nice shiny chrome versions - make the engine bay gleam!

Down the road, I will likely upgrade to rear discs, and maybe more modern front caliper/rotors, hence the larger MC bore idea.

Question is: will the 9" fit and is that a smart choice, or should I settle for the 8"? I know I will run into interference with the stiffener bars, but would there be any other fit issues?
Has anyone else gone this route?

Back