1965 bolt on overdrive transmission options

Hallzee

Hallzee

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey guys, Newbie here; just bought a '65, and have been trolling around to look at transmission options. There aren't many! I've found some information on having a Chevy transmission adapted, but I'm a little faint of heart for that!

Has anyone done anything with a bolt-on overdrive unit?

Please use the 4 digit model year which aids in searches.

Subject "For a '65. Bolt on Overdrive?" Has been updated to "1965 Bolt on Overdrive Transmission options"

I too have been looking into this. We might've read the same article using a gm transmission. There's also the ford AOD (automatic overdrive) but they're known to be unreliably from multiple articles I've read so far. But I'm probably a year or so away from seriously considering it.

You might include in your research Googling "Gearvendoes Under/Overdrive".

I have the Ford AOD in my 64 although I do not have a FE engine. Properly rebuilt and improved the AOD is a very strong and reliable transmission and the price is very reasonable from Monster Transmission. Since the AOD and bellhousing are all one piece I am not sure how you could adapt it to the Ford FE engine. You might give Monster Transmissions a call and see what they offer. Believe me it is nice cruising down the highway at 70 MPH only turning 2000 RPM’s.
Take care
Ed

I built a 1954 Skyliner put in a 312 Y- block and a AOD transmission. Worked great. Bendsten Transmission Adapters sell a complete kit, comes with Hy- torque starter. I did that project about 10 years ago, I think I paid around 575.00 back then. I almost certain you will have to make a new transmission mount plus maybe cut a little here and there. No matter what you do you WILL CUT or modify the frame.

On a 65 there is no frame. These are unibody. You will need the correct bracket for the AOD. Some drilling required.

Back