1964 Tuneup questions

P
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Good Evening Everyone,

After years of looking I finally found my grandfathers 64 Landau 390. After enjoying it over the past summer I put it up for the winter. My question is now that I want to due a tune up what spark plugs have you all had good luck with? I am thinking about going with the Autolite BF-52, but this is my first classic car and I don't want to mess up a family relic.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I have a '64. Why not upgrade the ignition system? I just put a Pertronix III ignitor in the distributor, eliminating the points, plus a higher voltage coil and MSD plug wires. The car starts better and accelerates more quickly. You could go with whatever plugs are recommended for the car at that point.

Good Evening Everyone,

After years of looking I finally found my grandfathers 64 Landau 390. After enjoying it over the past summer I put it up for the winter. My question is now that I want to due a tune up what spark plugs have you all had good luck with? I am thinking about going with the Autolite BF-52, but this is my first classic car and I don't want to mess up a family relic.

I have an MSD pro bullet distributor and an MSD 6AL box in mine. So much better than anything on the market! Fires up instantly.

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_125635.jpg
    IMG_20180722_125635.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 1
I don't know if the brand name is a big deal, just get what type it calls for and set the gap to specs. Check to see if you have electronic ignition, 1964 was the first year it was offered as an option. If not, I agree with the others -- put one on. I've got the Pertronix; everything looks original but it works well and you no longer have to keep fiddling with points and condenser.

I have an MSD pro bullet distributor and an MSD 6AL box in mine. So much better than anything on the market! Fires up instantly.
Say there, for future reference, what was the model # of the MSD distributor you installed? Also, I couldn't tell from the picture, is the distributor cap standard size (i.e. the size of a stock distributor) or is it the larger size? I like the fact that it sits low, below the surge tank. Other distributors I've seen stick way up above the tank, a bit unsightly from my perspective. Thanks, Doug

Say there, for future reference, what was the model # of the MSD distributor you installed? Also, I couldn't tell from the picture, is the distributor cap standard size (i.e. the size of a stock distributor) or is it the larger size? I like the fact that it sits low, below the surge tank. Other distributors I've seen stick way up above the tank, a bit unsightly from my perspective. Thanks, Doug
It's a pro billet by MSD, sorry spell check got me. It does require a compasitve discharge ignition box, I did have to change my air filter for clearance. It's about half an inch taller than the original. But I wasn't concerned with originality, I want a daily driver that I can rely on. Hope this makes sense.

Totally makes sense. Changing the air filter is a good thing anyway, the stock housing is cleverly designed to restrict air flow into the carburetor - go figure!

Good Evening Everyone,

I used Autolite 45's which is what was recommended by the local auto parts store. Good basic plug. You can spend a lot more on spark plugs but these will do the job.

Back