1964 Thunderbird Voltage Regulator is hot/warm to touch

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Guys,

I am right there at getting my car passing inspection - just have to get things put back together.

However, while messing around with my electrical system and getting all the bugs out/fixing years of hacking. I have noticed that the voltage regulator stays warm/hot to the touch. I unplugged it last night after talking to my father about it, he said it might be "stuck." As you know, the previous owner was "creative," with the electrical system. I have included a bunch of pictures of the voltage regulator living space. Do you guys see anything obvious I should work on? I noticed a connector looked slightly melted.

Thanks again!
Don

IMG_20190518_155429.jpg IMG_20190518_155435.jpg IMG_20190518_155442.jpg IMG_20190518_155448.jpg IMG_20190518_155457.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Replace it if its getting TOO hot. Part is cheap, but I would also go through your electrical system and find out WHY its getting overly hot. There could be some issue down the line causing the regulator to overheat.

Replace it if its getting TOO hot. Part is cheap, but I would also go through your electrical system and find out WHY its getting overly hot. There could be some issue down the line causing the regulator to overheat.
I agree that if it's getting really hot you should replace it.
OAO - if you saw what was done to the wiring before Nemesis bought the car you probably would be surprised it ran at all!

I agree that if it's getting really hot you should replace it.
OAO - if you saw what was done to the wiring before Nemesis bought the car you probably would be surprised it ran at all!

True story!!! I think they were trying to start a fire for insurance lol.

I will replace the regulator and report back.

By the way - Anyone with a 64 - maybe a 65 is close as well, would you take a picture and post it of their voltage regulator/washer bottle compartment so I can see how a normal one is wired up, maybe I can restore this one back and sort the wires.

Most appreciated!

Hoping that I can get it transferred next week, or put back together and transferred next Monday.

Also, mom is getting worse - if I am on here alot or gone for a bit I will be back - my heart is just breaking over and over. She started this fight at age 59 now 61...so young...good lord, she never had a remission, she has kept going and going. so many surgeries.

True story!!! I think they were trying to start a fire for insurance lol.

I will replace the regulator and report back.

By the way - Anyone with a 64 - maybe a 65 is close as well, would you take a picture and post it of their voltage regulator/washer bottle compartment so I can see how a normal one is wired up, maybe I can restore this one back and sort the wires.

Most appreciated!

Hoping that I can get it transferred next week, or put back together and transferred next Monday.

Also, mom is getting worse - if I am on here alot or gone for a bit I will be back - my heart is just breaking over and over. She started this fight at age 59 now 61...so young...good lord, she never had a remission, she has kept going and going. so many surgeries.
Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she can be as comfortable as possible, she certainly deserves it.

Don, I think the worry is that too much voltage is flowing into the regulator, causing it to overhead. So just replacing the regulatory, you might end up with the situation. But, you could try it and see if it heads up and go from there I suppose. Unfortunately I'm away from my house and car and will not be able to send the photo you need for awhile.

Doug

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope she can be as comfortable as possible, she certainly deserves it.

Don, I think the worry is that too much voltage is flowing into the regulator, causing it to overhead. So just replacing the regulatory, you might end up with the situation. But, you could try it and see if it heads up and go from there I suppose. Unfortunately I'm away from my house and car and will not be able to send the photo you need for awhile.

Doug

Hey Doug,

Thank you very much - I will look forward to the pictures when you can snap them. I think you are right, I am going to go back and start looking at the wires for corrosion or other issues as well. Thanks my friend.

I will replace it and check the wiring and see where we are at:) Thanks, everyone!

Why is the wiring such a jumbled mess? Did someone try to convert the car over to an alternator? Did 64 Tbirds run off a generator or alternator? I ran into a mess like this as well with a 62 Impala the previous owner started converting the car to run off an alternator. It too was a jumbled mess of wiring.

Why is the wiring such a jumbled mess? Did someone try to convert the car over to an alternator? Did 64 Tbirds run off a generator or alternator? I ran into a mess like this as well with a 62 Impala the previous owner started converting the car to run off an alternator. It too was a jumbled mess of wiring.

I am pretty sure that they came with an alternator. The hack job has a great deal to do with - in my opinion - trying to sell the car fast and get stuff working - or someone just went crazy on it. It looks like the previous owner was trying to do a restoration - they even included some A/C parts and a pentronix. I think they got in over their head and tried anything and everything. Then spliced it back together wrong. Also these breakers and so on are expensive and sometimes take a bit of research (actual work) to find - and people take short cuts. Nightmare.
Bless people and their intentions, but often when it comes to this stuff they do more harm than good.

Like me and my smoke show!!!! lol

Last edited:
1964 with an alternator really? I though alternators came later on.

Here is the section from Wikipedia: but to sum up (Alternators rather than generators were a new feature on all 1963 Thunderbirds)
Third generation (1961–1963)[edit]
Main article: Ford Thunderbird (third generation)

1962 Ford Thunderbird hardtop
The Thunderbird was redesigned for 1961 with sleeker styling that gave the car a distinctively bullet-like appearance. A new engine, the 390 cu in (6.4 L) FE V8, was the standard and only engine initially offered in the Thunderbird. The V8 produced 300 horsepower (220 kW) and was mated to a 3-speed automatic transmission. The new Thunderbird was immediately well received with 73,051 sold for 1961.[16]

The car was 1961's Indianapolis 500 pace car and was featured prominently in US President John F. Kennedy's inaugural parade, who appointed Ford executive Robert McNamara as Secretary of Defense.[16] It also benefitted from product placement, notably on the popular television series 77 Sunset Strip.[16]

A vinyl-roofed Landau option with simulated S-bars was added to the Thunderbird for 1962 as was a Sports Roadster package for convertible models. The Sports Roadster included 48-spoke Kelsey-Hayes designed wire wheels and a special fiberglass tonneau cover for the rear seats which gave the car the appearance of a two-seat roadster like the original Thunderbird. The Sports Roadster package was slow-selling due the high price of the package and complexity of the tonneau cover, resulting in few Thunderbirds being equipped with it.[9] Newly optional for 1962 was an upgraded version of the 390 cu in (6.4 L) V8 called the "M-Code" (a nickname used in reference to the letter M used as the engine code in the VIN in cars so equipped). The M-Code version of the 390 cu in (6.4 L) V8 was equipped with three two-barrel Holley carburetors and could produce 340 horsepower (250 kW). M-Code V8 Thunderbirds are exceptionally rare with only 200 being sold between 1962 and 1963.[17] For 1963 only, Y-code cars could come equipped with the same 390 cubic inch V-8 also equipped by the factory with tri-power carburetors only if the buyer desired air conditioning.

Few other changes were made to the Thunderbird for 1963 as Ford prepared to introduce a new version for 1964. A horizontal styling line was added that ran from the point where bumper and fender meet back through the door and angled down. Small diagonal chrome bars were added in this area on the door. Alternators rather than generators were a new feature on all 1963 Thunderbirds

1964 with an alternator really? I though alternators came later on.

What year tbird is yours? I love them all the way up to the late 70's -I can see it a little bit from your avatar. Do you have any photos up of it?

What year tbird is yours? I love them all the way up to the late 70's -I can see it a little bit from your avatar. Do you have any photos up of it?
1969. And yes I have a photo of it.
IMG_0429.JPG
Still in the midst of working on it, but she does run pretty good (well did until I tried installing pertronix). I mean I got A LOT more as I have photographed every step of the work I have done. Which now includes completely rebuilding brakes, suspension and exhaust, transmission and rear axle plus removing rust and painting under the car.

1969. And yes I have a photo of it.
View attachment 3985
Still in the midst of working on it, but she does run pretty good (well did until I tried installing pertronix). I mean I got A LOT more as I have photographed every step of the work I have done. Which now includes completely rebuilding brakes, suspension and exhaust, transmission and rear axle plus removing rust and painting under the car.

OH WOW - SHE A BEAUTY!! LOVE IT! Do you have a blog up with your progress? You should do that if you are documenting! You rarely see T-birds, it makes my heart happy to see one so loved!

I will replace it and check the wiring and see where we are at:) Thanks, everyone!
I would do a troubleshooting / maintenance check on the charging system. You maight find it is reading too high on the charging circuit. You have a multi meter so you have the tool necessary to check it out. You might find a bad ground (which could cause the regulator to get hot) you might find improper readings coming off the field or the armature. You can aslo check the alternator to see what it's putting out. It could be pushing too much and causing the regulator to get hot. Just get ahold of a troubleshooting procedure for the charging cirtcuit and go for it! you might find a bad wire or something that you can adjust.

I would do a troubleshooting / maintenance check on the charging system. You maight find it is reading too high on the charging circuit. You have a multi meter so you have the tool necessary to check it out. You might find a bad ground (which could cause the regulator to get hot) you might find improper readings coming off the field or the armature. You can aslo check the alternator to see what it's putting out. It could be pushing too much and causing the regulator to get hot. Just get ahold of a troubleshooting procedure for the charging cirtcuit and go for it! you might find a bad wire or something that you can adjust.

Will do! What has me concerned is that it stays hot all the time - car on, or off. So I guess it is testing time. :)

Will do! What has me concerned is that it stays hot all the time - car on, or off. So I guess it is testing time. :)
That sucks for sure. Sounds like a live wire connected to battery even when switch off.

Hi Don. Here's a pic of my voltage regulator. Please let me know if this is helpful and if more pics are needed.

Doug

upload_2019-5-21_5-36-18.png

Back