1964 Thunderbird strange exhaust mainfold holes and line

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All!

I was working on my 64 this morning, put a new set of wires, cap, and rotor on her. Also, put my spark plugs through the ultrasonic since I fouled them so bad last time, came out CLEAN.

I was installing them and saw a tube tapped into my passenger side exhaust manifold...and a hole drilled beside it. It goes up a newish looking tube to a vacuum line that was hooked up to full manifold vacuum on the carb. I blew down the line and felt air coming out around that fitting that is pictured (it looks like a compression fitting that just slide down the line.) I am confused! I circled them in yellow and red - I also included a shot of the tube. What kind of witchcraft is this? It looks like my trans modulator valve is going to a tee in the brake booster and over to the intake manifold.

IMG_20190708_063401.jpg 2 (1).jpg

Hello All!

I was working on my 64 this morning, put a new set of wires, cap, and rotor on her. Also, put my spark plugs through the ultrasonic since I fouled them so bad last time, came out CLEAN.

I was installing them and saw a tube tapped into my passenger side exhaust manifold...and a hole drilled beside it. It goes up a newish looking tube to a vacuum line that was hooked up to full manifold vacuum on the carb. I blew down the line and felt air coming out around that fitting that is pictured (it looks like a compression fitting that just slide down the line.) I am confused! I circled them in yellow and red - I also included a shot of the tube. What kind of witchcraft is this? It looks like my trans modulator valve is going to a tee in the brake booster and over to the intake manifold.

View attachment 4328 View attachment 4329

Yes. Though your is hacked up a bit, that is a factory choke tube set up to get heat to the carb at start up. Get a new set for $35 at birds nest or thunderbird headquarters. A manual will show what they should look like installed. Most people have eliminated them over the years not realizing that if you want your carburetor choke to work correctly they need to be there. Also your vacuum line from the transmission is correct any way it can get to intake manifold pressure. Disconnect that and you will have no third gear.

Yes. Though your is hacked up a bit, that is a factory choke tube set up to get heat to the carb at start up. Get a new set for $35 at birds nest or thunderbird headquarters. A manual will show what they should look like installed. Most people have eliminated them over the years not realizing that if you want your carburetor choke to work correctly they need to be there. Also your vacuum line from the transmission is correct any way it can get to intake manifold pressure. Disconnect that and you will have no third gear.

Name of my car should be "hacked." I bought it before I lost my mother, I thought somehow if I could fix it I could fix her - I know, crazy. So, I look at this project as a project in her honor, I will repair the damage, hence me naming the car Rose - for her.

I never thought of that! A choke! Of course! I have converted over to an electrical choke. I would like to delete this weirdness. Is there any sealant that I can put over these holes on my manifold? A suggested product...before I go and buy flexseal LMAO.

Name of my car should be "hacked." I bought it before I lost my mother, I thought somehow if I could fix it I could fix her - I know, crazy. So, I look at this project as a project in her honor, I will repair the damage, hence me naming the car Rose - for her.

I never thought of that! A choke! Of course! I have converted over to an electrical choke. I would like to delete this weirdness. Is there any sealant that I can put over these holes on my manifold? A suggested product...before I go and buy flexseal LMAO.

You can leave the holes alone. They really don’t do anything except send heat up to the carburetor. There’s no performance loss or gain with the holes open. You can eliminate the other one that looks like it’s screwed into the manifold it should just pull off. Not sure why the threaded nut is down on the manifold. It should be on your carburetor. I have had many Thunderbirds over the years and some of them are more of a project than I would’ve liked. However you either love these cars or hate them. I hope yours is on the love side. Especially if her name is Rose.

You can leave the holes alone. They really don’t do anything except send heat up to the carburetor. There’s no performance loss or gain with the holes open. You can eliminate the other one that looks like it’s screwed into the manifold it should just pull off. Not sure why the threaded nut is down on the manifold. It should be on your carburetor. I have had many Thunderbirds over the years and some of them are more of a project than I would’ve liked. However you either love these cars or hate them. I hope yours is on the love side. Especially if her name is Rose.

I wouldn’t plug the holes up with anything. Who knows, the next guy who care takes your car may want to put the original carburetor choke and choke hose set back on.

When I get to my warehouse today I will take a picture of my 66 choke tube set that is newly installed on my car. 64 five and six all look the same

Here are the pictures of the choke tube assembly that you were inquiring about yesterday. This is how it should look from the factory and are available for $35

Attachments

• E9AB2CC7-4ADC-4EDD-BAE9-9E0D55B5E443.jpeg
    E9AB2CC7-4ADC-4EDD-BAE9-9E0D55B5E443.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 95CAD17C-4FB1-4EA0-89F0-41D984B11013.jpeg
    95CAD17C-4FB1-4EA0-89F0-41D984B11013.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 54847030-FAAC-49B1-AD51-E411AD8158BF.jpeg
    54847030-FAAC-49B1-AD51-E411AD8158BF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Here are the pictures of the choke tube assembly that you were inquiring about yesterday. This is how it should look from the factory and are available for $35

Beautiful! What a nice engine bay as well. Mine will never be that nice without some major cash, so I am trying to restomod :) One day I hope to buy a second bird in a+ shape.

675D02EE-A809-460A-8596-F107EA34146A.jpeg 8D62B53D-A170-4E75-B8F0-980E971D8106.jpeg
Beautiful! What a nice engine bay as well. Mine will never be that nice without some major cash, so I am trying to restomod :) One day I hope to buy a second bird in a+ shape.

Here is a picture of the finished engine bay. It’s a labor of love but looks beautiful when finished. Very time consuming as every part is touched blasted painted and returned to its proper position. LOL

Hello All!

View attachment 4328 View attachment 4329
It appears that someone has changed things over time. (Not unusual).
The brake booster should be run to direct intake vacuum. The trans modulator should also be run to direct intake vacuum. (Being “teed” together shouldn’t hurt anything). As for the exhaust manifold, some cars used to run a “heat tube” thru the exhaust manifold for carb choke stove. (The sealed tube heated the air fed to the choke spring to control the opening of the choke). This heated air was moved via engine vacuum. So the tube should run from a vacuum line, to the carb, and then to the exhaust manifold.

Back