1964 Thunderbird. Seafoam or Stabil 360?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
ak7an
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just seeing what others recommend to use for your vintage birds. My bird doesn't get driven very often, and with the combo of ethanol blends and steel fuel tanks, I want to prevent any fuel system issues.
Thanks
Ed

I use non-ethanol free gas only. costs a little more but worth it. also marine stabil over the winter

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use non ethanol gas, but I can only get 87 octane here in Utah. My engine, (not original) needs at least 91 octane. The stabil 360 is supposed to keep rust from forming on the inside of the steel fuel tanks. Seafoam claims the same benefits. The red stuff is just for up to 2 year storage..
Thanks for the replies.. keep em coming..
Ed

I would use non ethanol gas, but I can only get 87 octane here in Utah. My engine, (not original) needs at least 91 octane. The stabil 360 is supposed to keep rust from forming on the inside of the steel fuel tanks. Seafoam claims the same benefits. The red stuff is just for up to 2 year storage..
Thanks for the replies.. keep em coming..
Ed

I only use 100%, 91 octane gasoline in my 1955 Thunderbird. Fortunately there are two gas stations that sell this fuel within 5 miles from my home. There are 138 gas stations that sell pure gas in the state of Utah; hopefully one of them is near you. Clink on the link below to see where you can purchase 100% gasoline in the state of Utah.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=UT

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I only use 100%, 91 octane gasoline in my 1955 Thunderbird. Fortunately there are two gas stations that sell this fuel within 5 miles from my home. There are 138 gas stations that sell pure gas in the state of Utah; hopefully one of them is near you. Clink on the link below to see where you can purchase 100% gasoline in the state of Utah.

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=UT

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Thanks for the Link, unfortunately the only 91 octane station is 90 miles away according to the list. I will continue using Seafoam unless I find the the Stabil 360 is a better prevenative.
Thanks so much.
Ed

Not a Seafoam fan....watch the first part of this video:
Eric the Car Guy might seem like a redneck but he's very sharp and well-regarded...
StaBil is the better choice for storage and Techron for cleaning...

Seafoam has been around a long time (1942 ?) and I've used it a long time, along with the legendary Marvel Mystery Oil (which I still use)...but I've moved on to more modern products and everybody should make their own decisions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a Seafoam fan....watch the first part of this video:
Eric the Car Guy might seem like a redneck but he's very sharp and well-regarded...
StaBil is the better choice for storage and Techron for cleaning...
While much of what he says is good, he can also be an idiot. Does he really think they use the same formula now as they did 70 years ago, because he certainly makes that assumption. You'll notice that he says "not to my knowledge" several times which effectively tells me he doesn't really know what's in it, because as you can see in the image below, taken from this document, he has no way of knowing. Yet another example of you can't believe everything you see on the Internet.
trade-secret.jpg

seafoam-vs-techrom.jpg

Attachments

• Sea-Foam-Motor-Treatment-SDS-v20161205-ENG.pdf
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Yeah it's really kind of funny how some products get dumped on by rumors and hearsay. I personally have heard from about 5 people that you don't want to use the regular red Stabil for anything. When I ask why, I am told that it causes problems, when I ask what problems no one can say what problems. I have used the regular red Stabil in my toyhauler and its generator for 10 years with no issues. My main concern was the steel fuel tanks and ethanol fuels..
Thanks for all the info
Ed

In my '64 I'm just running regular gas and I add a lead substitute on general principles, not because I know for a fact it is necessary. Anyway, I'm as suspicious as the next guy about ethanol (suspecting it's a welfare program for farmers) however have not seen any reason to believe it causes any actual problems with deterioration of the fuel system or runability. What am I missing?

Just seeing what others recommend to use for your vintage birds. My bird doesn't get driven very often, and with the combo of ethanol blends and steel fuel tanks, I want to prevent any fuel system issues.
Thanks
Ed
Stabil and a full tank. I use non-ethanol fuel as often as I can.

Here in the UK we have versions of super unleaded which ranges from 98octane to 99 at shell garages, not sure this is any better for these older engines?
Funny as my Smart Brabus requires 98octane!

Back