1964 Thunderbird electrical part identification

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,

So, while I was taking my heater core out I noticed this relay, or what looks to be a relay. It is on the passenger side firewall, can you folks help me identify it?

THANKS!
IMG_20190804_110739.jpg IMG_20190804_110730.jpg IMG_20190804_110721.jpg IMG_20190804_110719.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Most low fuel warning lights don’t work though because of the thermistor sending unit that’s in the tank. As the fuel drops below the thermistor the thermistor heats up and turns the light on. I have two cars with low fuel warning lights and neither of them work. You’d have to change the relay and the thermistor sending unit most likely to get it to work if the wiring to the low fuel light safety convenient panel in the center of the dash is all there.

You can buy a standard sending unit or the sending unit with the thermistor on it for the low fuel light set up. Don’t know the price difference right now.

I may try my hand at outfitting a standard "waterpoof version" bosch style relay...I really need to get my hands on a wiring manual as well as read more on the operation of relays in that regard. hmm... we shall see.

Yes you should buy the manuals for electrical, body and others available for your car. Makes it a lot easier to trace problems

Yes you should buy the manuals for electrical, body and others available for your car. Makes it a lot easier to trace problems

I am all for it :) The car came with the general shop manual which was a plus. I bought the body manual so when it comes time for that jazz I will be ready. I bought the electrical manual from Larrys back in May I believe, and it is still at the printers - I cannot seem to get my hands on an electrical manual, everyone seems to be out-of-stock.

I'm not sure what the relay is for, but on my 65 it's located in the center of the firewall away from all the water that dumps out of the cowl drain. I know its not for low fuel because I don't have that option.

Attachments

• DSC01288.JPG
    DSC01288.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
I’ll have to check the manual when I get to the shop About the relay on the passenger kick panel. It would make more sense that the low fuel relay would be closer to the center of the dash behind the low fuel light.

Looked it up and it seems like it is the power window "satefy," relay. Might be wrong though. Wondering, if one were to try and convert it over to a bosch style relay how it would be. Any thoughts @fordrodsteven ?

Here are my guesses:

I circled everything, Red may be to "battery and or switched," green may be "ground" the two oranges - to the loads or devices?
41g1dDNCjjL1.jpg

I think the power window relay mounts on the firewall from 60 to 66.But that does look like the relay you have on the passenger kick panel.

That definitely is a power window relay as per what the vendors are selling. Didn’t know it was on the kick panel. That’s probably correct then and the low fuel warning relay is closer to the light behind the dash

That’s probably why neither of my cars with low fuel warning lights work. Probably the relay

That’s probably why neither of my cars with low fuel warning lights work. Probably the relay

I am finding all kinds of weird relays all over the place. There is one that is hanging down over my fuse box that I think might be the seat belt one.

Back