1964 Thunderbird Coil Spring Cuts

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All!

So, I ventured outside of the house and to a car show on my own - first time at any event since my caretaking with my mother end May 22nd at 12:15pm...

Anyways - I met a really nice fellow who was into tbirds! He had a several and had a 64 there that day. I told him I was "restomod/refurbishmod" my bird and that I was rebuilding the rear suspension and the front was next. He had several parts for sale. I bought some ball joints - but more importantly - he had two BRAND NEW coil springs!!!
He said he would let them go for 90 bucks
- only thing is...they are for an AC car - and my car is a non-AC car. I called around to different tbird vendors and they advised that these would be about 1.5 inches taller than my current ones and a bit beefier. I figured what the heck, the ricers do it - so I bought them. Now, I have been reading online about how to cut them and how much to cut. It would seem that for every 1/2 inch you likely loose 1 inch in height. I know I will need to test fit mine before cutting, but I thought I would get your input and see what your experience is? Any ideas on how much I should cut - don't want the car to look like I have it loaded down with fat chicks in the rear - not that - that is a bad thing, love me some women with some meat - BUT not a good look cruising by yourself.

I mean for two new springs at 90 bucks how can I go wrong in cutting them to fit.

My experience with cutting spring is cut/fit test. The general rule is cut half a coil and check fit, this is with front end fully weighted. Never use heat to cut (it will change the composition/spring rate) a sawsall works best. There are people swear “cut this much “x” and you will achieve this much “x” drop”. I’ve never trusted that and with original springs I wouldn’t risk it. I’d check them as is to see the stance and go from there, a lot of work but worth it. Good luck!!!

Back