1964 Thunderbird Carb Plate Delete

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello All,

I was able to get my heater core installed last night, yay! However, I have been having problems with heat and my carb - I would like to delete the carb spacer that coolant goes through.

1. Is this even possible? I would like to go back with a spacer from Eldebrock and have that be the only spacer.

2. How hard is it to remove this plate, do the studs have to come out?

3. I see where the water pump goes into the manifold in the front, and my heater hose is run from the other water pump outlet into the back of the spacer - what is the correct routing? I have looked on the internet and shop manual and have not found any diagrams. I saw a Y joint I may be missing? My water pump was totally bypassed

4. I noticed in the shop manual that the PCV like system seems to exhaust through the middle of this plate - if I delete the plate what is the best way to reroute this to the engine?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I was having vapor lock problems with my carb caused by too much heat being transferred through the spacer from the intake manifold. I replaced the aluminum spacer with a wooden one which I made from Baltic Birch plywood. No more problems. I capped off the coolant lines which passed through the original aluminum spacer. I took pictures of the process but for some reason I can"t seem to access them on my computer. I'll keep trying and post them when I can.

Plate is easy to remove but your studs won't thread down enough to lock everything in place. Now you said you replaced the manifold so it should be easy to remove and replace the studs. I was trying to keep the plate and add the holley thermal. I had the opposite problem. I didn't have enough threads. I ain't taking those old studs out so for now I only have the plate. I did have to replace the gasket between the manifold and the plate. Mine was disintegrated. It is a funky looking gasket and most auto parts have to order it. Good Luck!! DJ-Dan(Forest Hill,Md)

I was having vapor lock problems with my carb caused by too much heat being transferred through the spacer from the intake manifold. I replaced the aluminum spacer with a wooden one which I made from Baltic Birch plywood. No more problems. I capped off the coolant lines which passed through the original aluminum spacer. I took pictures of the process but for some reason I can"t seem to access them on my computer. I'll keep trying and post them when I can.

I appreciate the help and would love to see some pictures - if you do find them post them :) What did you do with the "pcv valve," us it open to the air - not sure how to handle that part.

Thanks!

Plate is easy to remove but your studs won't thread down enough to lock everything in place. Now you said you replaced the manifold so it should be easy to remove and replace the studs. I was trying to keep the plate and add the holley thermal. I had the opposite problem. I didn't have enough threads. I ain't taking those old studs out so for now I only have the plate. I did have to replace the gasket between the manifold and the plate. Mine was disintegrated. It is a funky looking gasket and most auto parts have to order it. Good Luck!! DJ-Dan(Forest Hill,Md)

I did not change out the manifold, unfortunately. with my mother passing and all that - I just sent the parts back and decided to focus on inspection (passed, yay) and then I will eventually rebuild the motor and do it all at once. So, if I take the aluminum spacer off, a 1/2 inch Edelbrock spacer and the carb won't work on the stock intake? Also, curious as to what I should do with the "PCV valve," does it go to open-air, get plugged or do I need to route it some how to the air cleaner?

Thanks guys!

My center hose off of the back of the plate goes to the vacuum T. Here is a picture before replacing my 4100.View attachment 4569

Ah, I see. Can you tell me which heater hose goes to which side? If I am standing in front of the engine. The hose that goes down to the water pump on the left, does it go on the right or left side of the heater core? The one on top the intake, I think it is fed by the tiny hose to the intake from the water pump and goes to the base plate it. I assume if I delete the base blate this hose would go to the other side of the heater core. If you can/want - take some more pictures under your hood of your hoses and post them - would help me alot - However, just knowing which side goes into which input on the heater core would be a great help :)

THANKS!

Oh, some kind soul provided me a picture of under their hood - I drew the lines across their hoses thinking this is how the heater core is fed, but I could have them crossed. (the red X is indicating the delete. The blue hose I think goes to manifold vacuum.)

IMG_20181013_142127-1024x768.jpg

I never knew that was a Pvc valve. I thought it all connected to the vacuum. Learned something new everyday.

Attachments

• 20190413_122541.jpg
    20190413_122541.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 0
Back