1964 Tbird Radio Wiring Diagram

IndyTbird

IndyTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Is there anyone in the knowledge base that has a 1964 Tbird AM/FM radio wiring diagram? There seems to be about 3 to 4 connectors for the stock radio, and I was hoping to get a better handle on the wiring connections than what is shown in the normal wiring displays.

Thanks in advance, Indy TBird

Is there anyone in the knowledge base that has a 1964 Tbird AM/FM radio wiring diagram? There seems to be about 3 to 4 connectors for the stock radio, and I was hoping to get a better handle on the wiring connections than what is shown in the normal wiring displays.

The exterior connections: Antenna, speaks for itself. Power, we have a two-pin connector. Big pin, may be either a black wire or yellow with black stripe, power to the radio. Little pin, always a blue wire with red stripe, power to the lamp. Return ground is through the metal case. Speaker connector: This is a four-pin, one male and three female pins. The male pin is ground. The pin next to it is radio speaker output. If, for whatever reason, you only have a single speaker, you can connect its two-pin connector to these first two pins and it will work perfectly. The other two pins, I forget which is which, are RETURN wires from the front speaker and the rear speaker.

So here's how it works: if you have one speaker, the first pin is ground, the next pin is speaker output. Bada bing. If you have a rear speaker, the output is sent to both speakers. The return wires for the speakers connect to pins 3 and 4, which go directly to either side of the fader control. The wiper of the fader is grounded. So the fader places resistance in line with one speaker or the other, to adjust front/back balance.

The 63 set is the same; I just finished one on the bench a few minutes ago. If I'm not mistaken, the 65 is the same, as is the 63-64-65-66 AM sets, but the 66 AM/FM uses the same connector with different pin-outs. The fader on that one has the low side of the fader grounded, in a weird arrangement. Not a problem unless you swap radios between cars, then find out the fader doesn't work right.

If you have other questions, let me know.

My F4TBS radio as pitured has 2 connectors. a four prong for speakers and a two prong for power and light..
On the four prong looking at the connector there is a black wire w/ male plug and three female plugs green black and green /black stripe.
Hope it helps.
66 tBIRD AM FM REAR.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back