1964 TBird C3 Transmission Parking Pawl

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
D

DickStag

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just had the Birds Nest steering column lock kit installed but still have an issue with it popping out of Park. Not a good thing.

Linkage has been checked out. Suspecting cause is the Parking Pawl inside the transmission.

Can this be checked without removing the transmission from the car ? If that is the issue, can it be repaired without removing the transmission from the car ?

Where would you buy a new Parking Pawl ?

I have also found a TransMaxx Shift Improvement Kit. It’s for a C3 but not sure it’s for the 64.

Any suggestions/info is appreciated.

Attachments

• 6FD9A168-2F31-4EAD-AE1F-87D9139D84A7.jpeg
    6FD9A168-2F31-4EAD-AE1F-87D9139D84A7.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 0
Hi there.

I have the same problem with my '64. If the car is on a slight grade in Park, it will start to roll and I'll hear the parking pawl ratcheting against the transmission shaft.

Improperly adjusted shifter linkage where it connects to the transmission is one possibility. You mentioned you had it checked out, but what did they do? The tranny has detents just like the shifter does in the steering column, so ideally you would detach the linkage from the tranny, and make sure the shifter detents are synced with the tranny detents then reattach the linkage.

I wonder too if an improperly adjusted steering wheel swing mechanism could be a factor, for example if the mechanism is not allowing the shifter to go all the way into Park?

Just ideas at this point, I'm sure others with more experience on this will comment.

Doug

Good pointers. I will double check with my mechanic.

Still finding hard to come by info about the inner Pawl replacement.

Hi there.

I have the same problem with my '64. If the car is on a slight grade in Park, it will start to roll and I'll hear the parking pawl ratcheting against the transmission shaft.

Improperly adjusted shifter linkage where it connects to the transmission is one possibility. You mentioned you had it checked out, but what did they do? The tranny has detents just like the shifter does in the steering column, so ideally you would detach the linkage from the tranny, and make sure the shifter detents are synced with the tranny detents then reattach the linkage.

I wonder too if an improperly adjusted steering wheel swing mechanism could be a factor, for example if the mechanism is not allowing the shifter to go all the way into Park?

Just ideas at this point, I'm sure others with more experience on this will comment.

Doug

Hi Dick.

I'm looking in the manual and the parking pawl is associated with the rear band mechanism. There's a procedure for adjusting it or replacing it in the manual. Also this description: "the parking pawl engages the external teeth on the internal gear to lock the internal gear and output shaft to the case. This locks the rear wheels to prevent movement of the car." So seems the pawl is at the rear of the tranny near the output shaft in the rear band mechanism.

Also, there's a trouble shooting guide and for "Parking Lock Binds or Does Not Hold" the probable reason is "Manual Linkage".

Doug

Doug:

Any chance you can post or email a photo of that page of the repair manual ?

I have one but it is with my car at the mechanics.

I wasn’t aware that the Pawl is adjustable.

Thanks for the info.

Dick Stagnone
dickstag@*********

Attachments

• 781DD8B4-3E84-49FF-BE20-5BD0EE00CEAA.jpeg
    781DD8B4-3E84-49FF-BE20-5BD0EE00CEAA.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 73A175D0-2B02-46D7-8E86-37C0F4D4B572.jpeg
    73A175D0-2B02-46D7-8E86-37C0F4D4B572.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
Here you go:

Attachments

• Pawl_IMG_0688.jpg
    Pawl_IMG_0688.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2
Good way of checking is to disconnect the shifter linkage from the transmission and manually move the lever. You can push it through the positions and see if it stays in park. Just doing this on my 62 as I've used a transmission from a 64 Galaxy trying to make it match the column shifter linkage. Also noted on my original 62 trans the park position also had a slight more movement on the lever which might be to do with the swing away column???? The Galaxy transmisson doesn't seem to have this extra movement and the lever is a different shape hence my current challenge!
I have also purchased a BM floor shifter just in case all else fails but thats going to mess up my center consul!

Hi Hadderz. Reminds me of that math class where we had to solve problems with multiple variables. What a pain that was. Maybe you'll get lucky with that floor shifter!

To your point about disconnecting the linkage at the tranny, are you finding that this allows you to synchronize the two mechanisms, so that for example Park position on the column shifter is Park position on the tranny?

I ruminated in one of my posts above about the possible impact of the swing away steering mechanism on syncing column and tranny shift detents, but it's esoteric at this point as I keep finding reasons avoid crawling underneath the car for now.

Doug

I don't know about the parking pawl / reverse band on the Ford transmission. I once had a '72 Dodge D100 pickup. The pawl broke and the only way tp get at it to fix it was to tear into the transmission from the front to the rear. The parking pawl / reverse band was the very last thing to come out when dis-assembling the transmission.

Hi Hadderz. Reminds me of that math class where we had to solve problems with multiple variables. What a pain that was. Maybe you'll get lucky with that floor shifter!

To your point about disconnecting the linkage at the tranny, are you finding that this allows you to synchronize the two mechanisms, so that for example Park position on the column shifter is Park position on the tranny?

I ruminated in one of my posts above about the possible impact of the swing away steering mechanism on syncing column and tranny shift detents, but it's esoteric at this point as I keep finding reasons avoid crawling underneath the car for now.

Doug
Hi Doug
yes trying to match the column to the new transmission. Did this before on a Oldsmobile but made new linkage bars etc. On this I was trying to use the original which is proving a right pain! Think it probably needs all new parts in the column first to ensure thats positive before moving underneath!

Back