1964 power steering box removal

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
S

stevetheweave1

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Steering box upper lid with 5 bolts has bad leak. Can not access bolts, no clearance. Need to remove box and rebuild. My best friend manual says it is an easy unbolt and removal ( I wish). Have found little or no info on removal, all I have found says hood hinge removal along with master cylinder and loosen motor mounts and jack up motor and remove from top!

Darn Steve, these are a pain to. That sounds about right.

Steering box upper lid with 5 bolts has bad leak. Can not access bolts, no clearance. Need to remove box and rebuild. My best friend manual says it is an easy unbolt and removal ( I wish). Have found little or no info on removal, all I have found says hood hinge removal along with master cylinder and loosen motor mounts and jack up motor and remove from top!

I did mine from below. It was a bear... that box is HEAVY. I used an alligator jack to support and lower it to get it out and to raise it to get it back in after the rebuild. I don't recall the details but obviously it was necessary to put the car up on jackstands. Don't have a clear recollection but I think I removed the pitman arm from the box and left it connected to the rest of the steering linkage. Once the pitman arm is off you can pretty much push the rest of the linkage stuff out of the way.

I did mine from below. It was a bear... that box is HEAVY. I used an alligator jack to support and lower it to get it out and to raise it to get it back in after the rebuild. I don't recall the details but obviously it was necessary to put the car up on jackstands. Don't have a clear recollection but I think I removed the pitman arm from the box and left it connected to the rest of the steering linkage. Once the pitman arm is off you can pretty much push the rest of the linkage stuff out of the way.
Jim thanks for the reply but did you remove steering box from a 64 or from your 50's T Bird?

Jim thanks for the reply but did you remove steering box from a 64 or from your 50's T Bird?

On the 64 I used to have. I was 10 years younger and still had enough muscle to do some one armed lifting. Not sure if I'd try it today at 72.

Steve, the box weights 42 pounds!
I have a ‘64. It’s best to remove/install from bottom. (Just support it somehow. Hardest things to do are to loosen the shaft “rag joint”, and separate tie rod/center link. (Don’t try to take off pitman arm). (Un necessary).
There are 3 long bolts in wheel well (behind tire) thru the frame. Loosen/remove (leave one in until you are ready to drop it) the bolts, and it should drop straight down. You might have to loosen/remove exhaust pipe for clearance. DO NOT make any adjustments to input shaft. Top cover comes straight up/off. Don’t adjust/loosen the larger/center nut/stud when you take off the cover. Clean surfaces and glue in new gasket.

Big Clay excellent instructions and concise information thank you. I was fortunate in that I was able to remove top cover plate today that was leaking but did not reinstall because I need to replenish my blood supply after bleeding from my big paws and arms. (lol) Hopefully the seal will hold pressure but I will keep your instructions on file for when I blow another seal thanks.

Back