1964 manifold sealing issues

64Tbird.Birds3

64Tbird.Birds3

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi Group.
Loosened the passenger exhaust manifold off due to a leak at the rear port and slid a new gasket in, once it reached temp I still had a leak.
I pulled the manifold completely off and thought I'd true it up.
I never seen a "plate and hole " in a manifold EVER......
I'm going to remove the plate true the faces up, but having a hard time finding the plate gasket or make one ??

Whats the best way to seal this? The gasket I used appears to interfer with the plate.
I mjust say this plate is pretty fricking dumb, as well as the hole in the top.

There must be an acceptable process and gasket to solve this.
7485C76A-3772-4099-B005-D2FC94FF3785.jpegIMG_0632.jpgIMG_0633.jpgIMG_0634.jpgIMG_0637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We machined the seal surface flat. Removed the plate and none of the holes are pass through to the exhaust gasses
Evidently it a method to heat the original carb for choke purposes.

The bolt and gasket hung us up to seal properly.

Good luck to all who have these questions as well.

Yes, it's a passage to create heated air for the choke thermostat.
So the bi-metal spring inside will move and open the choke plate on the carburetor.
Similar to this Y-block example..
B9AE top arrow.jpgB9AE bottom c.jpgchoke thermostat cc.jpg.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your manifold is warped then so is the face of the head. It's a pain but it needs to be done as well.

If your manifold is warped then so is the face of the head. It's a pain but it needs to be done as well.
I wouldn't go that far. Odds are the head is fine. He said he machined them just in case. It's interesting how engineers devised different ways to heat the choke before electric became the norm.
I was advised to disable the heat riser baffle on my '57 as it was too tired to work and are basically unobtanium and it still only takes a short while before the choke pulls off.
I have in my vast experience ( Questionable ) have also had a loose spark plug sound like an exhaust leak.

Last edited:
The F/E family of engines are known for the head warping on the exhaust face. It's really the only way to to fix the exhaust leak long term. Manifold and head at the same time. Been there, done that, many times.

I'm a 70 year old mechanic that likes old fords from the time they were new til now, and have not yet found a head that needed the exhaust face planed, lots of manifolds, but no heads. I have had a couple that were pitted, and I filled the pits with JB weld and filed then smooth. the work to plane the head would make it my last choice in solving your problem.

Hi Group,
Just wanted to thank everyone for their for the input.
The heads were straight thankfully.
Thought I'd post a few pics of the completed (almost) Tbird.
I have Heat / AC / Blower / Wind shield Wipers / All Gauges & Seats all in functional order.
New Wheels HK 17 x 7 with 245 45 17 tires
Still need to figure out the power windows.

I like it!!

Attachments

• IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 3
Hi Group,
Just wanted to thank everyone for their for the input.
The heads were straight thankfully.
Thought I'd post a few pics of the completed (almost) Tbird.
I have Heat / AC / Blower / Wind shield Wipers / All Gauges & Seats all in functional order.
New Wheels HK 17 x 7 with 245 45 17 tires
Still need to figure out the power windows.

I like it!!
I should add
Replaced the Carb with a 625 CFM Holley Street Demon....best decision I made.
Better than the 4160 or any Edelbrook.....I've had both.
It's perfect and gets worlds better gas mileage.

I will post some pics of the original wheels, hub caps, & tires if anyone close may want them.

I'll keep the original Carb and Air Cleaner

Replace your gasket with a Rimflex graphite ones. They are thick and fill voids in surface’s great. I have never had a leak with one. Also don’t use lock washers. Use Nor-Lock washers in high heat area’s

Back