1964 has twitchy steering

lvhdude
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 64 has kind of a twitchy spot just off center on the steering. I cannot find any worn or loose parts in the front end, other than cracked strut rod bushings. The steering feels pretty tight, doesn't wander, tracks straight. About just the amount of turn to change lanes on the freeway, it kind of turns quick all of a sudden. At first I thought it drove like it was toed out, but is set at 1/8" in. Camber is within .2* either way according to my digital level and a square, checked at front and rear of each wheel. That's 2 tenths of a degree, not two degrees, surely close enough. The car did have a tire worn like it was very negative camber, (only on the right), but the car is new to me, and I can't find a reason for it. Maybe it was repaired, and just didn't get a new tire. (until now). Any ideas? And.... GO! Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If it has been realigned, then you are good. Sounds like a sticky valve in the pump. Try some conditioner first work it and see if anything improves.

I've been researching the "doughnut" spacer insulators at the gear to frame mounting. If you have those the rubber may be worn or possibly the threaded nipple that attaches to the gear box could be snapped on one of the three mounts. Im replacing my whole unit and using solid spacers.

Back