1964 Four Way Flashers

BigClay

BigClay

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
while driving, the indicator light for the 4 ways came on. It won’t shut off! 4 ways now do not work. Brake lights and turn signals all work. Only way to turn off indicator light is to disconnect battery. Don’t see a relay in system diagram. I’ve unplugged the Flasher, and light stays on. Can anyone help?

I've got a '66, but I presume the 4-way flasher system is the same. Power comes from the fuse panel, to the em flasher, (up under the right side of the dash) and then to the switch on the overhead console and lamp. The other side of the lamp then goes to the 3-pole relay in the trunk for the rear lamps, and to the 4 pole relay for the front park lights, fender repeaters, overhead lamp and then to ground. If your light is staying on, and the lights are not flashing, I think you must have a short to ground somewhere in the trunk-mounted relays.
As you found, pulling out the flasher makes no difference as the power wires are paralleled on the pin.
On the fuse panel, the feed wire for the flasher circuit is #383, a red wire with a white tracer. You can pull that fuse to turn the light off until you find the problem. It will not affect any other circuits.
Cheers

I've got a '66, but I presume the 4-way flasher system is the same. Power comes from the fuse panel, to the em flasher, (up under the right side of the dash) and then to the switch on the overhead console and lamp. The other side of the lamp then goes to the 3-pole relay in the trunk for the rear lamps, and to the 4 pole relay for the front park lights, fender repeaters, overhead lamp and then to ground. If your light is staying on, and the lights are not flashing, I think you must have a short to ground somewhere in the trunk-mounted relays.
As you found, pulling out the flasher makes no difference as the power wires are paralleled on the pin.
On the fuse panel, the feed wire for the flasher circuit is #383, a red wire with a white tracer. You can pull that fuse to turn the light off until you find the problem. It will not affect any other circuits.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply. But, 64”s are different from ‘66’s here. (Bless Ford).
The ‘64 & ‘65 DONT have the relay that the 66 has. (In fact, no relay at all).
That’s why I’m stumped. I have pulled the fuse, as all it does is operate the 4ways.

Sorry I didn't help much, However, the only way your light can come on, is through a path to ground. The power comes from the fuse panel, to/through the switch, and then through various ways to ground, to complete the path. So, something, your switch, or wire chafing, is providing the shorter path to ground for the lamp to light.

Cheers

When I pull up my Flasher switch on my 64 T-Bird the fender signals come on but not flash. But I had someone else put in my turn signal switch. I also am having an issue with my selector light for "Park R, D". When I click on my high beams the indicator selector light will come on. But regular headlights the selector light is out. I think someone didn't connect all the wires.

When I pull up my Flasher switch on my 64 T-Bird the fender signals come on but not flash. But I had someone else put in my turn signal switch. I also am having an issue with my selector light for "Park R, D". When I click on my high beams the indicator selector light will come on. But regular headlights the selector light is out. I think someone didn't connect all the wires.
This sounds like ground problems. You need to find and clean every ground connection.

Connect a ground wire from lower part of steering column to one of the bolts connecting the steering column seal to the body. The wire should be there but is usually broken.

Back