1964 Bird-trunk latch came loose!

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to know the easiest way to reach into the trunk to release the lock latch. I know what happened-the lever that trips the latch came loose. (the key turns, but no contact). I can either remove the back seat and attempt to reach trough or just drill a 3" to 4" hole in the bottom of the trunk to manually release it.
Please advise, and thank you in advance.
Larry Rice

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This happened to me once. Lots of fun! Yes, I got to it from the back seat. Hopefulloy your trunk isn't full to the point where you can't get to the latch. But with the back seat out, you can take a flashlight and look for the two bolts that hold the trunk latch in place. They are facing you, which is good news. Take a socket set, with extendions -- I just about had to find my 1/2" extensions, 1/2 to 1/4 adapter, some 1/4" extensions, all put together to the point where I had a 4 foot long total extension. With a little skill you can put the socket on one of the bolts. Then get the wrench and turn it till the bolt falls out. Do the same with the other, and the trunk lid will gloriously pop open.

Wish it were easier, but actually it's not too hard except for removing the seats and building the long extension.

This happened to me once. Lots of fun! Yes, I got to it from the back seat. Hopefulloy your trunk isn't full to the point where you can't get to the latch. But with the back seat out, you can take a flashlight and look for the two bolts that hold the trunk latch in place. They are facing you, which is good news. Take a socket set, with extendions -- I just about had to find my 1/2" extensions, 1/2 to 1/4 adapter, some 1/4" extensions, all put together to the point where I had a 4 foot long total extension. With a little skill you can put the socket on one of the bolts. Then get the wrench and turn it till the bolt falls out. Do the same with the other, and the trunk lid will gloriously pop open.

Wish it were easier, but actually it's not too hard except for removing the seats and building the long extension.
Thank, you, I will line up my extensions.

Thank, you, I will line up my extensions.
Too bad! I secured my spare tire. It is impossible to loosen it. The spare blocks my view of the bolts. Looks like plan B is the next step. A large hole saw in the bottom of the trunk.

Too bad! I bolted the spare tire in place. The spare blocks my view of the bolts. Looks like the large hole saw is my next option.

Can you reach in and unbolt the hinges on the trunk. That would let the back of the trunk rise up far enough to reach in from the outside to unbolt the latch. Just thinking out of the box. Always a new way to skin a cat.

Can you reach in and unbolt the hinges on the trunk. That would let the back of the trunk rise up far enough to reach in from the outside to unbolt the latch. Just thinking out of the box. Always a new way to skin a cat.
I don't know, I had to work today. That is a good suggestion. I will try it. I hate to cut a hole in the bottom of the trunk and then have to fix it. Thanks.
Larry Rice

Since you are going to try it lay some weight on the trunk on the area where the hinges are to keep the trunk in place while removing the bolts. Then remove the weights to let the hinges rise slowly. This will also help you as you remove the bolts to keep the trunk in place. This way nothing will get scratched. Thought this might help in removing the bolts. Hope it works.

Too bad! I bolted the spare tire in place. The spare blocks my view of the bolts. Looks like the large hole saw is my next option.
Actually I had the same problem as to the spare tire being in the way. Remove back seat and reach in on each side and remove bolts to trunk latch. Once you do that raise trunk and block up so as to get to the trunk latch. It is a pain but it works.

First, thanks to all of you for the good advice. I used my 3 1/2" hole saw and carved out a hand hole. Simple to fix the latch, but difficult to get my elbow out of the small hole. (a possible new use for K-Y jelly). I had some Flex-seal tape, and the patch is complete, ready for the next time the latch comes loose.
Larry Rice

Back