1964 Axle Seal Replacement

RedDropTop
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Can the axle seal on a 1964 be replaced without removing the bearing & retainer?
I want to have what I need on hand.
Thanks!

Can the axle seal on a 1964 be replaced without removing the bearing & retainer?
I want to have what I need on hand.
Thanks!
from what I remember 40 years ago you have to either cut the bearing off or have a machine shop pull it and press a new one on the axle to get to the seal

Before I get roasted, my manual is on my computer and is not available to me for a few days.

From my feeble memory, the rear axle bearing is a sealed bearing. The rear axle retainer is just that, not a seal.

The axle bearing is a sealed unit and there is a seal between it and the differential. Remove wheel and brake drum. Remove 4 bolts holding axle and backing plate for brakes. Axle will come out through the backing plate. Seal is inside axle housing. May have to use a slide hammer to get axle out. Hope this helps

The axle bearing is a sealed unit and there is a seal between it and the differential. Remove wheel and brake drum. Remove 4 bolts holding axle and backing plate for brakes. Axle will come out through the backing plate. Seal is inside axle housing. May have to use a slide hammer to get axle out. Hope this helps
Axle Seal.jpg

Rear Axle Seal Surface Before Polishing.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back