1963 front fender emblem - what is it?

W
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
I was watching the move "The Idol Maker" (1980), which featured some nice classic cars including a 1963 Thunderbird convertible. I noticed a "V" emblem on the front fender which I don't remember ever seeing before. A quick Google image search revealed that the emblem appears on maybe one in ten cars, mostly convertibles. I think I only spotted one hardtop. These cars were definitely '63's with the distinctive side molding and chevrons. Does anyone know the significance of this emblem?
P.S: Just for fun...
--Wolfie

I'm wondering if it might be for the Sports Roadster. These cars have the emblems, the grab bar on the passenger side of the dash, the landau cover, and wire wheels with the fender skirts removed.

For what it's worth, you'll see the grab bar and the emblem in the 1964 parts manuals, but these parts were never made. There was no 1964 Sports Roadster, although you could buy the landau cover and wire wheels and call it one if you wish.

The fender emblems were for the sports roadster cars. You can buy reproductions to make yours more complete. Don’t forget the emblem between the seats on the tonue cover. But they have to be drilled into the fender so once you do this you’re committed. They do look great on the car though. There were only 465 sports roasters built for 63 so they are rare options. The production numbers vary as well but restoration books will reveal a better accuracy to how many were produced. Some had tri-power some did not. There were only 37M codes which is the highly sought after Thunderbird convertible. 24 have been discovered and 13 still remain. Good luck finding one of those, and if you do have one please send pictures as they are extremely rare.

I thought I found a 63 M code just recently because it had all of the sports roadster equipment and tri power set up. But I was disappointed to find out it was an 89Z code not M code. The 89Z or M is what makes it the sports roaster versus the 85Z. This is in the serial number so you have to pay attention for accuracy to make sure it’s a real sports roadster. No worries though, I have an 85Z that I have converted to a sports roaster minus the tri-power. Still looks great and it’s the closest I’ve ever gotten to a real sports roadster. See pictures below

Attachments

• 29D0110E-6D9D-4242-8740-D6636E9D29F2.jpeg
    29D0110E-6D9D-4242-8740-D6636E9D29F2.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 66C28CAB-C269-4EFB-9779-3EEAB15F96BB.jpeg
    66C28CAB-C269-4EFB-9779-3EEAB15F96BB.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 36BAB6AD-A86B-4B75-B329-3DC8F5DFA497.jpeg
    36BAB6AD-A86B-4B75-B329-3DC8F5DFA497.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 3
If you are converting your car to a sports roadster, dealers did offer the equipment so you could make it a cosmetic roadster. One thing you have to do though if you want to retain the fender skirts which was not offered on true sports roadsters. I had to have my spinners from my Kelsey Hayes wire wheels cut down a half-inch so they would fit under the skirts. That’s why the sports roaster do not have fender skirts because the spinners would not fit under the skirts. The Factory could’ve made them thinner to accompany skirts since I think they look look good with the skirts on as well. Just a matter of choice

Late 62 and early 63 sports roadsters were available from ford.
Ford swears they sold 15,000 tripower units as counter kits and cars.
There are no outward markings to indicate a 340hp m code.
M code came with the ford engine chrome kit as standard.

Attachments

• 0812211112a.jpg
    0812211112a.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 1
  • Capture+_2021-08-10-19-46-08.png
    Capture+_2021-08-10-19-46-08.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If you are converting your car to a sports roadster, dealers did offer the equipment so you could make it a cosmetic roadster. One thing you have to do though if you want to retain the fender skirts which was not offered on true sports roadsters. I had to have my spinners from my Kelsey Hayes wire wheels cut down a half-inch so they would fit under the skirts. That’s why the sports roaster do not have fender skirts because the spinners would not fit under the skirts. The Factory could’ve made them thinner to accompany skirts since I think they look look good with the skirts on as well. Just a matter of choice
I agree with you the fender skirts make the Bullet Bird complete. I have a 63 Thunderbird convertible that has been converted over to a Sport Roadster. The only question I have is where can I get a grab bar to install on the passenger's side to make it look complete?

Back