1963 Dash Insulator-Dash Liner Clip

sombb
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi All,

Going all in to remove old and re-install new dash pad, taking the suggestion that it’s best to do so by removing the dash from the car. Might as well look at insulation and deadening sound at the same time. Not yet committed to replacing OEM insulation, so want to preserve what I can during disassembly.

Problem: how to remove 12 “Clips-Dash Liner” (357036-S100) to remove “Insulator Assembly - Dash” panels intact, without damage? I’ve wrestled with my share of mystery fasteners, but these I can’t pry out, pull out (even with vice-grips), or screw out. Hoping there’s a trick somebody here knows.

(Source: 1963 TBird Body, Trim and Sealant Manual, Sectional View AA, page 3-4220)
979C66D4-F199-4085-AF66-7353298E7185.jpegC705EEC5-9138-49D8-AB27-49B8ABBD0C61.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you mean that button fastener, they are usually "push in" with some sort of small tabs on the end that expand after installation and secures the insulation. I would try a clip removal tool like the middle one pictured in this Amazon kit; if you feel the insulation is too delicate then maybe one of the plastic ones, odds are that you will ruin the old clip so be prepared for that. UNLESS you can get to the back side of it and depress the tabs and push it backwards out of the whole.

Assumintg it is like the old Falcom insulation clips (pictured).Capture.JPG

Last edited:
If you mean that button fastener, they are usually "push in" with some sort of small tabs on the end that expand after installation and secures the insulation. I would try a clip removal tool like the middle one pictured in this Amazon kit; if you feel the insulation is too delicate then maybe one of the plastic ones, odds are that you will ruin the old clip so be prepared for that. UNLESS you can get to the back side of it and depress the tabs and push it backwards out of the whole.

Assumintg it is like the old Falcom insulation clips (pictured).View attachment 21947

Assumintg it is like the old Falcom insulation clips (pictured).

Thank YOU. TBird has the same clip. View attachment 21947 With the tabs that close to the head, they fix the head of clip to the insulation padding, but the end of the clip fixed into a pre-drilled (too small ;-) ) hole in the firewall is what makes removal a battle.

Your photo assured me that yanking, and yanking super hard was safe, if not for the clip at least for the firewall, so pulling HARDER was enough to remove them. NOW, can the clips be acquired through the usual TBird suspects, or is there a preferred substitute that won't freak out the purists ;-) ?

Such things are quickly becoming "unobtranium" (I can tell you Corvette stories); however this clip is metal and the head looks the same as far as shape and diameter; although the top of the clip is not separately pictured. The attachment "tabs" are a bit different but should work and if the "business end" of the clip is not visible in the engine bay this may be aesthetically acceptable; the "vehicle compatability list" near the bottom of the ad shows these work on a 1963 Ford Thunerbird.

1651585469739.png

Back