1962 Which Size Hydraulic Lines for Convertible top.

Craig T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,
I had a hydraulic line line break for the convertible top. When I went to purchase a new set it seems that in 1962 they used two different sizes. Does anyone know if there was a hard cut off date for when they started using the 62-63 seized hose vs the 61-62 size? My car was built on July 16th. Or is there another way for me to tell which to purchase...preferably with not having to raise the top again as fluid squirts everywhere. Oh, and with that, is there a reservoir for the hydraulic fluid? I don't see one.
Thank you so much!

What size is the line that broke? when you call the T-Bird supplier they should be able to tell you which one you need.
good luck, john

What size is the line that broke? when you call the T-Bird supplier they should be able to tell you which one you need.
good luck, john
Thank you john, but I’m not sure which size i have. When I saw the broken line I put the lid back down figuring I’d simply order a new set not realizing that for 62 there are two different sizes. I’m trying to avoid opening the deck back up so as not to shoot more fluid all over the top again. It’s a buggger.

If you cannot supply a size to a dealer you may be shooting in the dark. You will need to open the cover to replace the line. If you open the cover, clean up the mess and leave the cover open until you receive the replacement that might be the route I would take.
good luck to you. You can take the shot of talking with the supplier and give them the build date. By the way build date of July 16 of which year? Very early 1961vproduction of 1962 model or late production of 1962 towards the end of the run. Again, without a definitive size you won't know until you receive the replacement and open the rear deck. thes running changes can be frustrating. Good luck , J.

Thank you again so much. I think your right, I'll likely be lifting the deck lid up and leaving it up till I get the new lines.

take the old hose to a hydraulic hose shop like HOSE-Man and they can match it up an make you one. i don't know you can buy just 1 hose from the t bird houses, a full set is $200-300 i think

Back