1962 tbird disk conversion id

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Dave Duncan

Dave Duncan

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,

I have a recently imported 1962 Thunderbird hardtop with a US conversion. It now runs 15 inch hubs over front discs Please refer to attached photo Can anyone help me identify the conversion? The hubs are about 5mm larger than the rear drum originals

Thanks in advance

David 20190426_163038.jpg

Hi Dave. This is off topic but I really like this pic of your car from the Photo section of the forum. As much as any TBird pic I've seen, these embodies what gets our juices flowing. I'm just curious what it's like owning one of these cars in Oz. It must be really unusual to see them on the road down there.

Nothing constructive to offer on your disc brake question I'm afraid.

Good on you mate!

Doug

upload_2019-4-26_5-30-20.png

Hi all,

I have a recently imported 1962 Thunderbird hardtop with a US conversion. It now runs 15 inch hubs over front discs Please refer to attached photo Can anyone help me identify the conversion? The hubs are about 5mm larger than the rear drum originals

Thanks in advance

David View attachment 3652
Not really sure of the conversion source. It is likely a GM caliper. I cannot see the rotor with the wheel spacers over them. I am not quite sure what you mean by 15" hubs. I would point out that if you now have 15" wheels you should not need the wheel spacers. If you are still using 14" wheels then that is the reason for the spacers. The original wheels did not have a rim that was designed for disc brakes. The spacer moves the rim out to accommodate the original wheels. You might be able to use a more modern 14" wheel that was for a disc brake wheel.
good luck, J.

Hi be interested to see what the hub looks like - if its the original? Also if there are some fabricated brackets to hold the caliper. Thanks Andy

Back