1962 starting problem, carburetor?

R

Rob C

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have been fooling around with hard starting on my 1962 Convertible with a 390 all summer. Hard to start when hot/hard to start when sitting for a few days/ hard to start when sitting few minutes. Cool weather recently has not improved the problem. Once it starts it runs pretty smooth with decent pickup. Checked the fuel filter, spark and checked the floats on the carb. The carburetor is a rebuilt replacement from over 10 years ago. But it has only been running for the last year and it has had this problem the whole time. I wonder if I should just replace the carb with a new rebuilt by Holly 600CFM. I see they have one for $225.00. Also, the fuel pump is relatively new and pumps fine while driving, but should I add a electric fuel pump since I have to pump the pedal a lot when starting. Good idea or am I just wasting money for no improvement.
Thanks for any advice.

I have been fooling around with hard starting on my 1962 Convertible with a 390 all summer. Hard to start when hot/hard to start when sitting for a few days/ hard to start when sitting few minutes. Cool weather recently has not improved the problem. Once it starts it runs pretty smooth with decent pickup. Checked the fuel filter, spark and checked the floats on the carb. The carburetor is a rebuilt replacement from over 10 years ago. But it has only been running for the last year and it has had this problem the whole time. I wonder if I should just replace the carb with a new rebuilt by Holly 600CFM. I see they have one for $225.00. Also, the fuel pump is relatively new and pumps fine while driving, but should I add a electric fuel pump since I have to pump the pedal a lot when starting. Good idea or am I just wasting money for no improvement.
Thanks for any advice.
If your pretty sure,it the carb. I would replace e,unless you know somebody,that is good rebuilding carburetors. I think I would replace it and get rid,of that head ache.

I replaced with Holley and had major difficulty with adjustments. I took it to my mechanic. He worked on it three times. The adjustment would just not hold. After my third return he suggested edlebrock snd a 650 has not let me down since.
My experience with the fe 390 is that it a hard cold start, not miserable, but it always seems to take a crank more than I like. Once warm snd in daily use. That trouble fades. Both my 73 f250 and my 66 landau, run in similar fashion. My 66 is finally broken in from the rebuild. It is a lot less difficult than the truck, but, a couple of days on a incline and it takes a moment to get fuel
To the carb.

Thanks for any advice.
Are you starting it up as detailed in the owners manual? My 64 manual states "If your car hasn't run for several hours and is cold, press the accelerator pedal one complete stroke, and then release it. If the engine is warm, depress the accelerator pedal slightly and hold it there. Then, turn the ignition key to the Start position, releasing it when the engine starts." Not sure of the similarity between your 62 and my 64...but mine has the swing away steering and starting it is always wonky anyway.

Have you checked the choke operation? Do you still run points and condenser? I would switch to pertronix electronic ignition first. Makes cars easier to start in any condition. Is timming set properly? You may want to try retarding it a bit to see if that helps. Have you check the plugs? They could be carboned up causing it to be hard starting. When it com to replacing the carb, I have had real good luck with 600 Holleys or another carb built by a guy who used to work for Holley. I liked it better than the Holley but have fogotten the mfg name. Good luck on tracking down your problem

Thanks for any advice.

My situation was exactly the same as yours. 20-year-old replacement carb not factory). Hard starting, questionable pickup even when warm.
Finally bit the bullet and bought the exact same carb that you speak of (Holley 600, factory reconditioned, $225).

WHAT a difference. Now it fires right up, even when cold, drives like a champ, no more stumbles. Perfect right out of the box. Beats the heck out of trying to rebuild an old carb of unknown origin.

I think you should do it.

I also replaced with an hei dizzy. It’s big and ugly. But it sure makes a difference in daily driving. Even a half imagined improvement in mpg. About 18 miles farther per tank. Almost a gallon and a half per tank. Maybe s 12 mpg instead of 11.2
But it all helps, as mine was never going to be a restoration, more of a resto-mod.
When I switched to HEI and edlebrock carburetor in my 73 f250 fe 390, I did not experience mpg improvement but a lot more power was readily available and it just runs smoother overall. I am a hack, not a mechanic.
But I am willing to experiment around as I learn.
This has proved brilliant and disastrous at different times… transmissions are not amused by amateur tinkering. But the body, electrical wiring and systems all work now, it probably cost me triple over having a pro do things. But I am a better hack for it.
Good luck. This forum is great for the variety of experiences and problems that are discussed. The moderation has been spot on.

Great advice. Thanks to all. I will try most of them. I will also replace the Carb with the Holley. I will report back on success (or failure)

I've had dual quad setups, and single carb setups on a dozen classics. It is ALWAYS better to restore original equipment ir a period correct replacement if that applies, with few exceptions. Replacing a factory engineered setup with one of those Edelbrock or Holley "generic" carbs is almost always a compromise in performance. Then you have to deal with linkage and fuel line mods, often hood clearance, choke configurations.

Send your carb off to be rebulit -- there are dozens of competent shops that do this work.
I do my own rebuilds (see picture) but not everybody has the temperment or attention to detail required:
Maybe consider a quality, correct, restored replacement:

Attachments

• IMG00030-20110428-0942.jpg
    IMG00030-20110428-0942.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back