1962 reversing convertible top during cycle

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Installed new rams on the deck lid of the 62. Hydraulics move the top up and down and the deck lid moves up and down while the system is hot wired. When hooked up to the car wiring and operating the control switch, the deck lid only moves in the closing direction. Regardless of the control switch movement. A new control switch has been ordered. Quick question, can you reverse direction in the middle of a cycle either up or down
Thank you.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You can reverse at any time. Be aware that the problem might not be the console switch, it might be one of the limit switches. For instance, the deck will stop opening when it reaches the left deck open limit switch but it ignores that switch when closing. So, if that switch is stuck closed the deck can close but not open since it signals that it's already fully open. I'm not saying this is your issue, I'm just pointing out that it could be a limit switch and not the console switch.

If you don't already have it the troubleshooting guide it is attached.

Attachments

• TroubleShootingConvertibleTop60-66Tbirds.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
When you post to the forums, your subject is the most important part "62 retractable convertible" could mean anything and your post is about retracting the top during the cycle. Also, use the four-digit model year as prompted. Updating title now.

Also, this is a good related post that shows components to modernize the relays-

model-year.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the troubleshooting guide.
I have no problems with my top but it sure is nice to have the resource.

Back