1962 console modification

DavidL
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am a new member to this forum. I bought a 1962 white T-bird recently has power steering, power brakes, electric windows & locks, power seats. It drives like new and I will be driving it anytime it is a nice day here in north east Indiana. I want to make some upgrades to it. First i would like to put on a carburetor with automatic choke any recommendations from those of you that have done that would be apricated. Has anyone ever modified the center console so that the fixed section between the dash and ashtray would open up it seems it would be another place for storage maybe hide a CD player or other items. I want to keep the T-bird looking stock but incorporate some newer features. I will be doing disc brakes in the front and changing to a twin cylinder master I also have a 1966 Mercury Comet convertible i had one of the rear brake lines snap while driving and I don't want to go thru that excitement again. Convert from generator to alternator seems to be plenty of info on that but would like to here what alternator & parts some of you have used . Glad to be a new member here and a T-bird owner.
David

The stock 4100 carb is a very reliable carb and it has an automatic choke on it.

I guess it is rebuild time then I have to pump it like crazy to get it started. thanks for the info.

I guess it is rebuild time then I have to pump it like crazy to get it started. thanks for the info.
It could be that the power valve is not adjusted properly. When looking into the venturi you should see a good shot of gas when actuating the throttle by hand when not running.

It could be that the power valve is not adjusted properly. When looking into the venturi you should see a good shot of gas when actuating the throttle by hand when not running.
Ward,

Don't you mean the accelerator pump is not adjusted properly.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I agree that the power valve and the accelerator pump both are used to enrich the fuel mixture, but they do it in different ways.

With the engine running the power valve will open to enrich the fuel mixture when accelerating and manifold pressure drops. This causes the power valve to open directing the fuel from the float bowl into the main well.

The accelerator pump will enrich the fuel mixture when the throttle is opened causing a strong and immediate squirt of fuel from the main discharge.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I am a new member to this forum. I bought a 1962 white T-bird recently has power steering, power brakes, electric windows & locks, power seats. It drives like new and I will be driving it anytime it is a nice day here in north east Indiana. I want to make some upgrades to it. First i would like to put on a carburetor with automatic choke any recommendations from those of you that have done that would be apricated. Has anyone ever modified the center console so that the fixed section between the dash and ashtray would open up it seems it would be another place for storage maybe hide a CD player or other items. I want to keep the T-bird looking stock but incorporate some newer features. I will be doing disc brakes in the front and changing to a twin cylinder master I also have a 1966 Mercury Comet convertible i had one of the rear brake lines snap while driving and I don't want to go thru that excitement again. Convert from generator to alternator seems to be plenty of info on that but would like to here what alternator & parts some of you have used . Glad to be a new member here and a T-bird owner.
David
If the butterfly choke isn't closing when the engine is cold, then you'll have to pump the gas and crank it a bunch to get it going. And as others have pointed out, accelerator pump may not be working or adjusted correctly.

Re the centre console, there is no space below that centre panel between the ashtray and dash as it sits on top of the trans tunnel.

Re the centre console, there is no space below that centre panel between the ashtray and dash as it sits on top of the trans tunnel.
Thanks for the heads up on the condole that will save me a lot of time that would have been for nothing.

Back