1962 chrome mounding trim removal

62_BattleBird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’m at a complete loss here folks. I was able to remove the far rear piece no problem, however it’s simply held in place by 2 nuts. The long portion is held on by one but towards the rear (I removed that) and then a bunch of clip type pieces. I’ve tried everything in my abilities to remove this thing to no avail. If anyone could provide some insight or tips I’d greatly appreciate it.
80724FBB-2D72-4FB5-9970-8F63163E105C.jpeg9DC9A813-1963-47D5-8B35-7B9812DE21F2.jpeg7DE3891A-3001-4E9E-87BF-7DC65A05AB29.jpeg210A6F0F-F619-4407-A4B7-2BB8247ABAA0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There may be several clips with nuts on them, if I remember correctly. Take your time, reach up to the top of the fender and feel for the nuts. Then it just pries off. It's been a while since I have removed all the trim but I too will be doing it soon enough.

There may be several clips with nuts on them, if I remember correctly. Take your time, reach up to the top of the fender and feel for the nuts. Then it just pries off. It's been a while since I have removed all the trim but I too will be doing it soon enough.
SUCCESS!!!! After taking off the one nut I simply wrapped some cloth around a screwdriver and using that against the tiptop rear edge of the trim, pull towards the front and it slid off in less than 1min. Soooooooooo much easier that my attempts at prying the thing off and potentially damaging the trim. Thanks again for the advice and I hope this helps for when you have to do it as well.

Good to hear it came off! I have done this before on a '61 I restored. It's been about 35 years now. Be careful with those clips that hold it down! I had trouble finding them in the mid '80s.

Back