1961 oil & generator light issues

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Sargent_Arthur

Sargent_Arthur

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello,

I had a thump that shook the engine do to the leaks and investigating I have reason to believe that the power steering system exploded somewhere just beyond the firewall. I want to figure out first why the engine will not crank anymore and why when I turn the key to the accessory position the oil and generator light don't come on. Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

A little more info please. Did the thump occur while driving? Did it kill the engine and now it won't turn over? Have you tried to put a breaker bar on the crank?

A little more info please. Did the thump occur while driving? Did it kill the engine and now it won't turn over? Have you tried to put a breaker bar on the crank?
I got the lights fixed haven't tried to crank the motor over yet. The steering gear box seems to be what the thump was. The thump occurred when first cranking the engine over. I was trying to move the car to wash it when it occurred.

I got the lights fixed haven't tried to crank the motor over yet. The steering gear box seems to be what the thump was. The thump occurred when first cranking the engine over. I was trying to move the car to wash it when it occurred.
Good thing you weren't on the road. Have a diagnosis yet?

I am currently trying to clean up the area in which the power steering fluid was coming from to see how bad it is. I'm hoping for a broken seal but I won't know till I can see. The steering gear box is covered in dirt and grease and I can't tell what the problem is.

I am currently trying to clean up the area in which the power steering fluid was coming from to see how bad it is. I'm hoping for a broken seal but I won't know till I can see. The steering gear box is covered in dirt and grease and I can't tell what the problem is.
Hopefully the bang was the hose blowing. If it won't start but it cranks, I'd polish down the distributor cap if fluid got that high spraying around. At least it's not water damage.

So the cat won't even try to crank at all. I tried and the oil and generator light now won't come back on. I am clueless on why that's happening

Check your battery, that might have been the clunck that you heard. Sounds like you have no voltage to the system.
Take care
Ed

Back