1961 Convertible pump/motor replacement

Mcmazzio
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone changed the motor/pump to a high capacity unit? It looks straight forward but curious if there are pointers of what to do/not do from someone who has done it. Also, I have heard you shouldnt mix trans fluid with brake fluid. How do I determine what is already in there?
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Has anyone changed the motor/pump to a high capacity unit? It looks straight forward but curious if there are pointers of what to do/not do from someone who has done it. Also, I have heard you shouldnt mix trans fluid with brake fluid. How do I determine what is already in there?
Thanks

I haven’t changed my pump but I can say that replacing 55 year old brushes is like getting a new pump. Worth the trouble.

You can generally tell what fluid is in there by color. ATF is red, brake fluid is typically clear but for the new exotic types which probably aren’t in there, anyway. I know by ‘66 it was supposed to use ATF, I don’t know what was specified for ‘61. If you change from one type to another I’ve been told you should flush it with alcohol first.

Back