1959 Knobs and bezels refinishing

PaulB

PaulB

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm trying to replace all the knobs and bezels on my 1959 dash. I've changed out all the knobs except the headlight which you can't buy just the knob. You have to buy the entire switch as one unit. So my question is, is there a trick or secret to removing the bezels from the dashboard? Is there a specific tool? I've searched you tube but couldn't find anything. The bezels are all pitted so want to replace them as well.
Also while I'm at it, I would like to replace or repair the aluminum dash itself but can't find them at any parts house. As you can see the finish is coming off in places. I also need to know how you go about removing this dash plate as well. I doubt that is something that can be repaired, but thought I'd ask. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 6
I'm trying to replace all the knobs and bezels on my 1959 dash. I've changed out all the knobs except the headlight which you can't buy just the knob. You have to buy the entire switch as one unit. So my question is, is there a trick or secret to removing the bezels from the dashboard? Is there a specific tool? I've searched you tube but couldn't find anything. The bezels are all pitted so want to replace them as well.
Also while I'm at it, I would like to replace or repair the aluminum dash itself but can't find them at any parts house. As you can see the finish is coming off in places. I also need to know how you go about removing this dash plate as well. I doubt that is something that can be repaired, but thought I'd ask. Thank you in advance.
I think I have a few of the aluminum dash panals and bezels If you cant find these I will be home after xmas and then I can look to see what I have as well as condition. I can tell you that if you seperate the panal from the dash, its a wiring nightmare behind there.

I think I have a few of the aluminum dash panals and bezels If you cant find these I will be home after xmas and then I can look to see what I have as well as condition. I can tell you that if you seperate the panal from the dash, its a wiring nightmare behind there.
Gulp. Maybe a bigger project than i want to do. But yes, I would be interested if you have any aluminum dash panels in good condition. Let me know. The bezels are available through the Bird Nest, so those aren't a problem finding. Thank you.

How bad are the panels? Maybe a bench restoration project? Test your skills. Can't do any more harm if you are willing to just replace them.
Not terribly bad, just some matte finish loss around the bezels that I have no idea how that would happen. I could live with them I guess, unless you know of a way to correct the finish when you say bench restoration. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1
Not terribly bad, just some matte finish loss around the bezels that I have no idea how that would happen. I could live with them I guess, unless you know of a way to correct the finish when you say bench restoration. Thanks.
I don't know how to restore a matte finish but surface rust on chrome cleans very well with polish & aluminum foil.

OK ill look when I return home after the 24th dec
Paul I have one panal that is pretty decent condition but does have some pitting. If you want to text me an email address I will send you some pictures. I had mine rechromed and it turned out really good so that might be a consideration for you to have yours rechromed.
mark c

Paul I have one panal that is pretty decent condition but does have some pitting. If you want to text me an email address I will send you some pictures. I had mine rechromed and it turned out really good so that might be a consideration for you to have yours rechromed.
mark c
Thanks Mark. I think I'll take your suggestion and try the rechroming route. Mine is not pitted so perhaps rechroming will work. I appreciate you checking though.

Back