1959 adding Air conditioning

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Jack Connell

Jack Connell

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My bird does not have AC. I have spent countless hours and research procuring original factory parts. I am curious if anyone else has attempted this - it is a daunting task.t54.png

My '63 Bullet Bird came with factory A/C - actually made sure when I bought it - BUT my '69 Chevelle did NOT. Compounding the problem was the Chevy-direct crate 502 I put in cramped the engine bay almost like the V8 in those Baby Birds. MY SOLUTION came from Vintage Air, but it WAS a project. They don't make a kit directly for your Bird the way they did for my Chevelle (if it had the stock 327 it shipped with) but like I said, cramped quarters made it a much bigger project. They DO make parts (their "Builder" series) that you could use to add A/C to the '59 though and their people are terrific on the phone; I'd say give 'em a call. 1-800-862-6658 - can't hurt to try!

Thank you for your reply. The after-market Vintage Air uses small ac registers mounted under the dash, whereas I want the original center vent to be located above the radio in the dash. I drove to Phoenix where I visited a salvage yard and bought OEM parts including the evaporator and ducting. I shipped the evaporator to Classic Auto Air in Florida and had it restored. As you can see I want to bring the AC back to original. I am about 2/3rd's done with all new parts, however, I am now dead in the water. I cannot locate Roto-Locks for my rebuilt York compressor nor find a/c hoses that will fit. I have come to realize I am over my head and need to reach out to someone who can help me finish.

Thank you

Attachments

• 59bi.jpg
    59bi.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 0
I need front bumper deck lid hood interior parts I have a convertible that I want to restore and a coupe for parts but the body is in good shape I don’t want to destroy for convertible the coupe needs trans and driveshaft and cross member

Back