1957 Winter storage questions

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Had the 57 out this past week for an hour run. Filled it with non ethanol gas and mixed In Stabil. Now, what do I do next?

1) KnowI got the car will be hard to start if it doesn't run all winter, do I remove the battery or not? In either case, the battery will be on a tender.
2) If I leave the battery in, is it safe to put a cover over the car with the tender on the battery?
3) If I decide to start the car occasionally, how often and how long should I run it?

Love the knowledge here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Keep cover on. What I do is turn the engine on and run it for about 15 to 20 minutes about once a week. If the weather is clear...ride it around the block a few times. To great of a car to hide away. I have a 65 and it starts right up no matter the weather

Being from northern NewEngland where we need to walk away from our classics for close to 6 months. You’ve done well so far with the treated fuel. I prefer to remove the battery and keep it at home in heated garage.
To deter rodent damage, I spread clothes drier sheets in the engine space, interior, trunk, and under the car. Assuming the paint is clean and fairly recently waxed, put the cover on and walk away. .
have been using this procedure for years with very good results.

If the car is at home, do as Binky says. If it’s stored away from home, do as 1957Bird says.

One other thing to check, if the car is stored in an unheated space, is the quality and freezing point of your antifreeze. You can pick up a tester at any local parts store.
I know a fellow that didn’t and it cost him an engine.
and just my opinion, I’m not a fan of plugging in a battery tender and putting a cover on the car and walking away. To me there’s too many things that could go wrong with that scenario, like fire

I also put my car away for winter but if no snow or salt on roads I take my 65 out sometimes during winter. As far as starting her up I say NO..Reason being when cold its a hard start and not great on a cold engine. If you going to drive and enjoy her then yes but not just to start. Thats what many mechanics have told me..

Had the 57 out this past week for an hour run. Filled it with non ethanol gas and mixed In Stabil. Now, what do I do next?

1) KnowI got the car will be hard to start if it doesn't run all winter, do I remove the battery or not? In either case, the battery will be on a tender.
2) If I leave the battery in, is it safe to put a cover over the car with the tender on the battery?
3) If I decide to start the car occasionally, how often and how long should I run it?

I’m sure if you talk to each classic car owner you will get a different opinion on how to store a classic car, but since this method works for me I thought I would share it.

First of all, I’m the type of guy that likes to do everything now, so that when spring rolls around I can simply get in the car and begin enjoying it for another season. I start by changing the oil and filter. Old oil contains contaminants, especially if you use the car infrequently and on short trips. I perform any routine maintenance that is due and I don’t forget to service the air and fuel filters. I check to make sure I have a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water in the cooling system, which will show -34 degrees Fahrenheit on an antifreeze tester.

Your cars biggest villains is rust, that’s why I clean the car inside and out, and wax it prior to putting it in storage. For extra protection, I generously wax the bumpers and other chrome surfaces, but I do not buff out the wax. Mildew can form on the interior; to prevent this I treat the vinyl, plastic and rubber surfaces with a product such as Armor All.

Ideally, you car should be stored in a clean, dry garage. I prepare the floor of the storage area by laying down a layer of plastic drop cloth, followed by cardboard. The plastic drop cloth and cardboard act as a barrier to keep the moisture that is in the ground from seeping through the cement floor and attacking the underside of my car.

Now it’s time to prepare the car for hibernation. I drive the car to the gas station and add fuel stabilizer in the amount recommended on the bottle. Then I fill the fuel tank to the top to prevent condensation from forming in the fuel tank while the car is sitting in storage. By adding the fuel after the stabilizer, it will mix thoroughly in the fuel tank. I am fortunate that there is a gas station near where I live that sells 100% gasoline.

Now comes my favorite part, I take the car for a long drive! By doing this l accomplish several things. First, you will circulate fresh oil through the engine, much of which will remain there to prevent rust until spring. Second, you will burn off many of the contaminants in the oil, one of which is water. Third, you will get the exhaust system hot enough to burn off any moisture, thus preventing, or minimizing, rust in the exhaust system. Most exhaust systems rust from the inside out, not the outside in. Fourth, a trip that is long enough to get the car up to operating temperature is also long enough for the fuel you treated with fuel stabilizer to reach the carburetor and all of its small passages.

I inflate the tires to 5 Psi over the maximum pressure indicated on the sidewalls. Keep in mind the tires are warm, and the inflation pressure will drop when they cool off. When I park the car in the storage area I park it so the tires sit on top of carpet squares. I never put the car up on blocks. Suspensions were not designed to hang in mid-air for months at a time. The tires were designed to sit on the ground for their entire life and by over inflating the tires flat-spots should not be an issue.

To deter rodents from entering my classic car while it is in storage, I have found that one of the best things to use is multiple sheets of a fabric softener inside the car. There is very low odor associated with the fabric softener sheets after taking the car out of storage, yet rodents hate the smell of them.

The final step is to fog out the engine. I do this once the car is parked where it is to be stored for the winter and while it is still warm from its trip. Remove the air cleaner and spray engine fogging oil into the carburetor with the engine running at a high idle. Once I see smoke coming out of the exhaust I shut off the engine and replace the air cleaner. Fogging out the engine coats many of the internal engine surfaces as well as the inside of the exhaust with a coating of oil designed to prevent rust formation.

I do not start the engine periodically, because I feel that it does more harm than good. Most engine wear takes place when an engine is started cold. This is made even worse when an engine that has been sitting for an extended period of time is started, because much of the protective coating of oil on vital surfaces will be minimized or removed all together.

Finally, I disconnect the battery and put it on a maintainer and let my car hibernate for the winter months.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The final step is to fog out the engine. I do this once the car is parked where it is to be stored for the winter and while it is still warm from its trip. Remove the air cleaner and spray engine fogging oil into the carburetor with the engine running at a high idle. Once I see smoke coming out of the exhaust I shut off the engine and replace the air cleaner. Fogging out the engine coats many of the internal engine surfaces as well as the inside of the exhaust with a coating of oil designed to prevent rust formation.
Glad that you brought up this point. I was about to ask whether anyone does this. What do you consider to be “fogging oil”? Back in the day my family was into boating. We would fog the engine by pouring engine oil down the carburetor. We just kept pouring until the engine died out on it’s own. We would also change the oil right before we did that. When Spring rolls around you’re going to see a LOT of smoke at your start up.

Automotive engine fogging is simple. I use STA-BIL Fogging Oil.

STA-BIL Fogging Oil

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I plan on driving car in the Midwest this winter on clear days but do not like the way Ethanol corrodes and wreaks havoc on carb jets while car is stored. In past years when gas was gas Stabil was perfect for storage but Ethanol has changed that because as far as I know Stabil has not updated their formula to include Ethanol. What is the general consensus for winter gas additive?

Stabil has not updated their formula to include Ethanol.
You're not serious, are you? Ethanol fuel has been around for decades and Sta-Bil is amazing! I used ethanol-free aka pure gas in my generator and put stabil in it and it worked two years later. :)

stabile.jpg

I plan on driving car in the Midwest this winter on clear days but do not like the way Ethanol corrodes and wreaks havoc on carb jets while car is stored. In past years when gas was gas Stabil was perfect for storage but Ethanol has changed that because as far as I know Stabil has not updated their formula to include Ethanol. What is the general consensus for winter gas additive?
suggest Stabil 360 Marine, designed for ethanol fuels - I add at every fuel fill

We only have 10 % ethanol here. I just get fresh gas before putting it into storage. No stabilizer (son used Sta-bil once - ruined his carb.) Change oil and filter. Disconnect the battery (negative post). Never needed a tender. I start it up once a month and run it for at least 20 minutes or longer to make sure everything, including exhaust system is fully warmed up.). Never experienced any problems doing it this way for over 30 years for three cars. Cars always started ok in the Spring. Two cars I cover, the other just clean the outside every time I run it (or more often)

As was mentioned, I wouldn't use a tender on a car that has a cover

Back