1957 Tilt Steering wheel addition

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J

jsonny

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
1957 T-Bird Tilt Steering wheel addition. Can this be installed with power steering and provide more seat clearance?

I'm sure somebody could engineer that, but why rip out all that original when a much more cost effective solution would be to buy a smaller wheel that are widely available.
These cars were not designed for somebody over 5'8". there are several threads on here on how to move the seat back but if you have a convertible top behind the seat may limit any movement.

I'm sure somebody could engineer that, but why rip out all that original when a much more cost effective solution would be to buy a smaller wheel that are widely available.
These cars were not designed for somebody over 5'8". there are several threads on here on how to move the seat back but if you have a convertible top behind the seat may limit any movement.
Thanks for the info. and possible solutions. The engine/trans are out of the vehicle now (the way it came) so I'll have to wait till I get the electrics on to test the seat. And the smaller steering wheel is a possibility...I was taken back with the closeness to the seat the wheel is but your comment on the original designed helped resolve that problem...Great help and response time...Thanks, Jon

Jsonny, does your car have OEM power steering? If not, Borgeson makes a modern conversion, which requires modifications to the steering column, but, in my opinion, is superior to the original boom-type power steering. An electric steering conversion also is available, again, requiring modifications to the steering column. No matter whether you go OEM/aftermarket, you're looking at $2,000+ for parts, plus probably another $1,000 for labor. My 55 has manual steering. It's fine, once you're moving, but u-turns and parallel parking aren't fun.

I assume you are aware that the steering column is telescopic? Maybe the wheel is pulled all or most of the way out

I assume you are aware that the steering column is telescopic? Maybe the wheel is pulled all or most of the way out
That cold be, There are many discussions on here that the telescoping feature is unknown or frozen. I'm 5'6" and I have the wheel all the way in and the manual seat all the way back and it fits me perfectly.
I do feel for those of larger stature and trying to work under the dash.

Thanks. It was all the way in and I pulled it all the way out which gave me more room. I'll have to wait (project in motion) until the engine/trans is back in and electrics are functional to see if the seat will go back farther.

Some owners have found that new seat foam will increase the height of the seat, thereby providing less space between the driver and the steering wheel. For that reason, upholsterers will, at the owner's request, trim the seat foam to provide the extra space. I'm about to have my 55 seat reupholstered, including new foam. I'm 5' 8"/w 30-inch inseam, 158 lbs, so I'm not sure if I will use the new foam as it is or trim it.

Some owners have found that new seat foam will increase the height of the seat, thereby providing less space between the driver and the steering wheel. For that reason, upholsterers will, at the owner's request, trim the seat foam to provide the extra space. I'm about to have my 55 seat reupholstered, including new foam. I'm 5' 8"/w 30-inch inseam, 158 lbs, so I'm not sure if I will use the new foam as it is or trim it.
I would go without trimming. It takes a while to break in. You will fit once it settles. plus you will have more cushion.

I would go without trimming. It takes a while to break in. You will fit once it settles. plus you will have more cushion.
Last evening I posted a reply on this subject...almost immediately my post appeared...this morning I cannot find my post...am I doing something wrong?

Last evening I posted a reply on this subject...almost immediately my post appeared...this morning I cannot find my post...am I doing something wrong?
OK...no replies to my question about doing something wrong...so here is my 'lost' post...In the September-October issue of the **************************************'s Early Bird magazine there is a very detailed article (including pictures) on how to gain 1 inch of space it mentions that 1 inch does not seem like much but try moving the seat of your family car out of its normal position and you will see.
I think this article would be an interesting read for anyone wanting more room.

Thanks for the info. and possible solutions. The engine/trans are out of the vehicle now (the way it came) so I'll have to wait till I get the electrics on to test the seat. And the smaller steering wheel is a possibility...I was taken back with the closeness to the seat the wheel is but your comment on the original designed helped resolve that problem...Great help and response time...Thanks, Jon
Mac’s sells the smaller replacement steering wheels (see attached picture from their catalog). I’m sure other vendors do as well. I have the smaller steering wheel in my ‘57, and it makes driving *much* more comfortable. It’s still tight even with the smaller steering wheel (and I’m only 5’9 with 32 inch inseam), but perfectly tolerable.

I hasten to add that I did not install it myself; I had a mechanic do it. So, I have no idea how difficult or time consuming it might be.

Attachments

• 68300A68-992C-44EE-A6CD-751749676A80.jpeg
    68300A68-992C-44EE-A6CD-751749676A80.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Mac’s sells the smaller replacement steering wheels (see attached picture from their catalog). I’m sure other vendors do as well. I have the smaller steering wheel in my ‘57, and it makes driving *much* more comfortable. It’s still tight even with the smaller steering wheel (and I’m only 5’9 with 32 inch inseam), but perfectly tolerable.

I hasten to add that I did not install it myself; I had a mechanic do it. So, I have no idea how difficult or time consuming it might be.
Replacing the steering wheel is really easy especially on the '57. '55-56 are a little tougher on removing the horn ring to get to the keeper nut. Pullers can be rented I assume but can be had for $35. the only thing is lining up the splines so it's centered.

As always, the more info, the better the choice. Just purchased my '57 which had the engine/trans out and having the trans rebuilt. So I have much to learn on this unique car and appreciate all the replies.

As always, the more info, the better the choice. Just purchased my '57 which had the engine/trans out and having the trans rebuilt. So I have much to learn on this unique car and appreciate all the replies.
I've had my '57 for 45+ years and am still learning.

I bought a steering-wheel puller from Napa Auto Parts. It comes with a collar that protects the horn button at the steering-wheel end of the horn wire harness. The button is in the center of the column, black, kind of looks like a jellybean. Make sure you use the protective collar, or you will ruin the button and have to replace the harness. I had to crank the puller quite a bit before the steering wheel separated from the column.

1957 T-Bird Tilt Steering wheel addition. Can this be installed with power steering and provide more seat clearance?
Much cheaper and easier to buy the aftermarket Tbird wheel that I believe is 15". I bought one and it makes a big difference getting in and out of the car, and much more comfortable to drive with power steering. The wheels are sold by several Tbird parts houses, and even on ebay for around $300. They only come in black, I think, so would need to be painted to match your interior. Also, because the horn ring is cut down also, it is plain, not power steering imprinted.

Back