1957 Thunderbird

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fortunate One

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Hello all,

My father's first car was a 1957 hard top conv Thunderbird. My dad is letting me get my dream car and I would like to repay him by fixing her up. It has been sitting in our garage for 18-19 years. So my question is, what would I have too do the engine (if anything) to make it run right on unleaded fuel. I plan on changing all hoses, fuel filter, ect is there anything I’m forgetting? Thanks in advance.

Jeff

First question is has it been turned over on a monthly basis? if not you have probably got a flat spot in the crank bushings and bad rings by now not to mention the amount of condensation that has taken place. But if it has been turned over and maintianed those 18 years even though gataged then the minimum you will have to do is have the hardened valve seats put into the heads, as you dont want to burn your heads since there are none in repop. That is a current line of thinking. on the other hand you can drive it the way it is with unleaded use some Marvel mystery oil in the tank between fillups or just use a cup of transmision fluid in with each tank or a lead substitute and enjoy driving it untill it needs a rebuild on the motor. I have the originial 312 in my 57 and have not dont the head rebuild. Ford used a better alloy for its engines then dodge and chevy so the heads are tougher and more resitant. I swear by the marvel mystery oil though. five years no problems and i have logged over twelve thousand miles on my 57 since i have owned it.

First question is has it been turned over on a monthly basis? if not you have probably got a flat spot in the crank bushings and bad rings by now not to mention the amount of condensation that has taken place. But if it has been turned over and maintianed those 18 years even though gataged then the minimum you will have to do is have the hardened valve seats put into the heads, as you dont want to burn your heads since there are none in repop. That is a current line of thinking. on the other hand you can drive it the way it is with unleaded use some Marvel mystery oil in the tank between fillups or just use a cup of transmision fluid in with each tank or a lead substitute and enjoy driving it untill it needs a rebuild on the motor. I have the originial 312 in my 57 and have not dont the head rebuild. Ford used a better alloy for its engines then dodge and chevy so the heads are tougher and more resitant. I swear by the marvel mystery oil though. five years no problems and i have logged over twelve thousand miles on my 57 since i have owned it.
How much Marvel do you add to a tank of gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back