1957 Thunderbird - Definition of "Older Restoration"

L
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello there,

We recently purchased a 1957 Thunderbird and we are by no means car experts. The description of the car was as follows:

"This is a very nice older restoration. Paint is very nice with good shine. Interior very clean with no visible wear. Chrome is in great condition throughout. Car drives and rides very nice. The fit and finish of the car are very well preserved. The interior is very nice showing no signs of wear. The drive and handling of the car are flawless. This car can be driven daily or only to shows and classic events. the undercarriage is great condition. Wheels and tires show well."

What I'm curious to know is, what do you feel is a fair condition this car should be in? See the pictures attached. This is the car received and I'm not quite sure it was accurately described. If it was accurately described then by all means please tell me.

I appreciate the comments and feedback.

Thanks,
Lorne

Attachments

• Photo Nov 16, 11 52 08 AM.jpg
    Photo Nov 16, 11 52 08 AM.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo Nov 16, 12 00 49 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 16, 12 00 49 PM.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo Nov 16, 12 04 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 16, 12 04 28 PM.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo Nov 16, 12 24 01 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 16, 12 24 01 PM.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Photo Nov 16, 12 32 59 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 16, 12 32 59 PM.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Lorne,

According to the Hagerty Price Guide:

A car in fair condition are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the fender has a minor dent. The interior could have split seams or a cracked dash. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or the interior might not be stock. The car can also be a deteriorated restoration.

A car in good condition could possess some, but not all of the issues of a fair condition car, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior. Good condition cars drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These cars are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws.

Doug
1955 Thunderbird Blue

From the pictures you have posted, your car looks like a #4. The term "restored" is probably the most ambiguous term used to describe a vintage car. The word should denote a car returned to its original condition, but that is not usually the case. Amateur and professional restorations differ in scope and result. The only way to know what you are getting is an inspection prior to purchase. Sixty year old cars have often suffered a lot of indignities in the name of restoration.

Hello there,

We recently purchased a 1957 Thunderbird and we are by no means car experts. The description of the car was as follows:

"This is a very nice older restoration. Paint is very nice with good shine. Interior very clean with no visible wear. Chrome is in great condition throughout. Car drives and rides very nice. The fit and finish of the car are very well preserved. The interior is very nice showing no signs of wear. The drive and handling of the car are flawless. This car can be driven daily or only to shows and classic events. the undercarriage is great condition. Wheels and tires show well."

What I'm curious to know is, what do you feel is a fair condition this car should be in? See the pictures attached. This is the car received and I'm not quite sure it was accurately described. If it was accurately described then by all means please tell me.

I appreciate the comments and feedback.

Thanks,
Lorne
doesn’t look too bad depending on how old the paint is

Depending on how old the paint is and how much you paid for the car and how many miles are on it

older restorations will have paint cracking and chipping. older being 15 to 20 years or more.

Back