1957 Throttle Linkage

Rogvh

Rogvh

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Need help for my '57 again. The accelerator linkage was bent (though it worked). I straightened it on the bracket that mounts on the firewall as well as the bracket going to the block. Now it's in a bind so doesn't work. Is the part that goes between the brackets supposed to be level or paralllel to the ground? Mine is cocked no matter what and doesn't seem to be able to be level. Anybody have a pic of it mounted or thoughts? Don't have any T-birds nearby to view. Attached is a pic of the linkage.
t bird throttle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this will help you, but attached are two pictures of the throttle mechanism on a 1957 Thunderbird from the Restoration and Specifications Manual.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

#36 Throttle mechanism and rod for a 1957 Ford Thunderbird with overdrive transmission. The rod has a spring-loaded sleeve in the center to prevent throttle plate stress during kick down. Also shown is the vacuum block and wiper line for cars with no power brakes.
1957-throttle-mechanism-OD-Transmission.jpg

Photo #37 throttle linkage for a 1957 Ford Thunderbird with automatic transmission.
1957-throttle-linkage-automatic-transmission.jpg

Thanks, one pic shows part of the linkage mount. I need to see the linkage looking square at it at the firewall.

Not sure what engine you're working with, but that looks pretty similar to mine. See if the photo below helps and I can take pics from another angle if need be.
57 Linkage.jpg

I inserted the images into the posts above using this method:

Last edited:

smithdj2626, it's a 312 D. Your linkage is different than mine but thanks for the pic.​

Thanks Boozeman, that's the best reference I've gotten! Now if I could get a pic of the linkage facing the firewall.

Here's a few I took of my car last night. I hope they help!

IMG_4526.jpgIMG_4527.jpgIMG_4528.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few I took of my car last night. I hope they help!
Those are just what I need and do help! It confirms what I thought but can't achieve. Your cross part of the linkage looks parallel to the firewall and level. I bolted mine back on and it's angled down toward the passenger side and forward to the block. So it's in a bind. It's as if my engine is too far forward from the firewall and lower. How that can be is a mystery. If anything yours seems close to the firewall as the bracket to the block looks bent to give relief. Not sure what to do to make mine work and not look hokey. I did try shimming at the block to no avail. Previously, my bent firewall bracket allowed the linkage to come forward and down to the block until I straightened it. Thanks for taking the time to photograph and post!

Back