1957 Soft top removal process

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
BigGar
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
none
Hi, new member here. A client who's collection I look after has a beautiful 1957 F-Bird. It's concours perfect and he would like to drive it with the top down (off) a bit, but is terrified of actually folding the top up as he doesn't want to wrinkle the canvas or rear window (yes, I know that's a little silly, but that is the world I live in). I looked inside and it appears there are just two pins attached to the hydraulic mechanism holding it in place and that I could carefully pull those pins, unlatch the windshield header clamps, and simply lift the entire soft top off of the car (with help of course) in the "up" position and then just wrap it up and store it that way. Is this as simple as it looks? I could also install the hard top for him and leave the soft top off the car. I noodled around YouTube for a video or other advice and decided a forum like this was likely the best place to find out.

Best Regards,
Gar

Yes the top folds up and is stowed behind the seat, would advise to put a towel or something to protect the back window plastic from the folding arms that are behind the seat. They will press against the plastic and leave an impression if not covered with something soft. Also make sure the levers on the rear are turned parallel to the back window so they do poke the back window.

First open both doors, move the seat forward,
Unlatch the sun visors and move them back away from the window.
unlatch the front windshield latches and rear deck latches.
Push the seat back forward.
Lift the rear of the top and pull the cover behind the seat up and under the top onto the rear deck.
Lift the front and fold it back, the top structure may be stiff to fold, ( a little lube at the pivot points will help)
Pull the rear of the top up and collapse the top together, then carefully drop it down and push behind the seat.
Drop the cover back down behind the seat, move the seat aft

I put my top down allot, it can be a pain getting back up, particularly getting the windshield pins into the receptacles.
I think the car is best with the top down, I use the hard top in June and July, Spet 1 its back off.
Good luck and enjoy

Last edited:
I am not sure that the top will "stand" on its own. If you are able to remove the top as you state; you may encounter a problem with the swing bar the top is attached to. By the way it is sprung and there are no hydraulics. The swing bar is sprung to assist in raising and lowering the top. Without the weight of the top it will likely not retract down behind the seat. If your client can afford and "F" Bird he should be able to afford a new top if need be. Driving around with the to down is fun. But the fun stops if it rains or if it is very warm. Your other option for to down is to completely remove the top and swing bar. The swing bar is attached to the body by four nuts to studs.
Good luck, J.

J,
Thank you for the reply. Yes, he can pretty much afford whatever he wants, he just doesn't want to have to do this top over again because it's really perfect. Yes, I know it's silly. I did see where there were four bolts on each side holding the spring bar, and that is likely the proper way to remove the whole thing. The pins on either side just looked to be very easy to remove and I thought that may be the way people would remove their soft top for the winter back when the cars were new.

I have heard of some people who never put the top up and only drive on nice days.
For 2 to 3k you can have a new top installed.
Life is too short he should enjoy it one way or another.
Kind of like the paint, drive it and you will have dings and scratches that can all be repaired.

I get it. It's probably a $300K restoration and he doesn't want to fold the top up. I really wish it was my decision, as I have no doubt it could be carefully folded down and not have an issue. It unfortunately is not my car, so pleasing my client is the aim of my posting this.

If you remove the soft top what do you do with it? It can more easily be damaged trying to store it.

I removed a soft top to put t on another car and did not have problems removing (its a two man job) . However putting it back u need to remove the nut that hold the spring in place ( or loosen it as much as possible) otherwise very difficult replacing the 4 bolts without scratching the inner body. Good luck
Walt

So, just looking for newbie clarification… could you not just fold the top behind the seat and leave it there…aside from the fold marks etc… my non-concours ‘57 is barely 20% of the cost of the one listed above but I ABSOLUTELY AGREEE with @CSPIDY that life is short and I’m using my car at will. So, can I just leave it behind the seat and mount the hardtop for winter?

You can remove the top and leave the swing arm in place. All you have to do is remove the pins holding the top to the swing arm. Make sure the swing arm won't just spring back. However, putting the top back on to the swing bar may be a bear to do w/o folding the top and laying it on the rear deck. Not sure that the top will stay open once removed but should, especially if it's the later top with the extra brace.

When I gor my 56, there was no soft top but the swing arm was in place. Bought a top (Prestige replacement) and attached it to the swing arm. Don't remember the details of the connections, but it took some time to get everything lined up for the pins. Later got an original top, not much easier doing the connection, doubt it can be done with the top unfolded but you would need at least three people to do it in my opinion.

I've got my hard top hanging in the garage above the car and the rag top up. Just letting everything relax and sprayed it down, cleaned and conditioned it. The wrinkles are smoothing out and almost looks new.
There is no accounting for people who have more money than common sense. Even a totally # 100 concours score will never justify the $ put into it other than something to put on a shelf. If he wants to drive it with the top down just put it down The damage potential of removing it and then trying to re-install it will ruin any authenticity. The ability to show that 'everything works' would be degraded along with the value.

Yes, I agree. I had a 1925 Henderson Deluxe motorcycle that I had restored over w years. I was afraid to ride it due to its beauty and value. But I decided long ago…too bad, I’m riding it. Took it to Daytona bike week and parked it on Main Street. Big crowd of curious onlookers and touchy feely types. I don’t have that kind o’ cash so I moved on to Pretty, Polished and Clean but not a #1 Concours anything.

I guess I’m asking …. Would it mess anything up by folding the top down and letting it hide behind the seat from now (December) until spring?

Nope, that's the way it was designed. Some put towels between the folds and others unzip the window and wrap it before stowing. I haven't had my rag top up for as long as I have now and the only issue is I didn't stow the rear latch properly and left a dent in the window but I have the spring to let it park properly but haven't installed it yet. Have one on the hard top with the same issue and soaking the set screw to remove the handle and dismantle.
So yes stow it. Mine was not pulled up for years and came out looking good.
Your experience with your motorcycle should tell you everything. Some want something to just show off and others enjoy the thrill of driving a classic even if not pristine. The public likes to see them being used and not just see it in a museum. Why have it if you can't use it?

Last edited:
I would advise keeping the top up over the winter (or any longer term storage) just to keep it's shape.

I would advise keeping the top up over the winter (or any longer term storage) just to keep it's shape.
Mine is up over the winter after being stored for so many years and only deployed occasionally. The hard top is hanging above as I want to work on replacing the spring on one of the rear latches that broke. Cleaned and treated it with vinyl and rubber conditioner and after a few months almost all the wrinkles are gone.

Back