1957 side boards for the trunk

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
dickday0

dickday0

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
In the trunk, the unfinished side walls are exposed. I saw that they make a fiber board to cover the sides of the trunk. My '57 did not come with any type of side boards.

I just ordered a set from CASCO but don't have a clue how they fit. Does anyone have these in their '57? I have googled these and their aren't that many pictures out there. Here is what I see on NPD's site...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/tru...side%2Bboard&top_parent=2&year=1957&year=1957

One piece is much, much larger than the other. Maybe once they arrive, it will make sense.

Thanks!

Got mine from CASCO about 5 months ago. It will make sense when you go to place them. Can't remember which is which now.

Got mine from CASCO about 5 months ago. It will make sense when you go to place them. Can't remember which is which now.

Ok, the one on the driver's side makes sense, the 3 holes in the board line up with the 3 holes in the floor. I'm stumped on the other side, isn't there one that also covers the other side of the trunk? The passenger side? It looks like the small board they sent might some how act as an extension of the trunk floor, so things don't fall down into that opening, but I see nothing that would mimic the driver's side. I was expecting something that would follow the contour of the wheel well, like on the driver's side.

It's pretty sad when I cannot figure out a piece of cardboard. :)

Thanks

Sir-I had the same feelings when I got my cardboards. After much research, I discovered that the passenger side cardboard does not follow the contour of the wheel well. As fact, when you open the trunk, and if you have no floor covering, you will see the inside of the fender. It amazed me that the car's shape is so attractively designed, it's sitting area is so well thought out, why would they not put a dollars worth (or less) of cardboard to hide the inside of the passenger fender.

I think they left it open for better access to the jack. Plus with the jack installed you'd never notice. Plus with the fuel filler tube running down that area the labor to fit one would way out cost the price of a ( probably 25 cent piece of cardboard at the time ) and not even noticeable as the trunk liner covers the wheel well anyway.

I wouldn't trust the jack. I ended up putting in a small hydraulic jack and wrapping everything in a pillow case and making it tight and quiet with bungee cords.

I trust the jack and have the correct bumper hook. I do have a plan to incorporate another pneumatic jack just to make Shure.

I think they left it open for better access to the jack. Plus with the jack installed you'd never notice. Plus with the fuel filler tube running down that area the labor to fit one would way out cost the price of a ( probably 25 cent piece of cardboard at the time ) and not even noticeable as the trunk liner covers the wheel well anyway.
Attached is the a picture of the right inner wheel well area.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
wheel-well-covers.jpg

In the trunk, the unfinished side walls are exposed. I saw that they make a fiber board to cover the sides of the trunk. My '57 did not come with any type of side boards.

I just ordered a set from CASCO but don't have a clue how they fit. Does anyone have these in their '57? I have googled these and their aren't that many pictures out there. Here is what I see on NPD's site...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/trunk-cardboard-set-2-pieces/138898?backurl=search/products?search_terms=trunk%2Bside%2Bboard&top_parent=2&year=1957&year=1957

One piece is much, much larger than the other. Maybe once they arrive, it will make sense.

Thanks!
For my 55 CASCO shows 2 but say's one per car. I ordered thinking I was getting a pair but got one for the right side. Also they show a screw kit for 57's but nothing for 55's what gives?

Nothing secures the side boards; they are just wedged into place. I bought the pair for both sides of my 55 trunk, but it only came with one. I covered them with black vinyl. I also covered both sides of the 55 Masonite trunk divider with black vinyl and installed two 6 x 9 speakers. I intend to make a vinyl-covered insert for the trunk drop-off.

Yes, there's nothing fancy about our factory trunks; they're pretty utilitarian. Even though I have the original 55/early 56 black mat (in good condition), I'm installing Larry's trunk carpet.

I have the original 55 bumper jack, but I will carry a bottle jack in a vinyl utility bag; the bumper jack will stay in the trunk.

On my '57 there is a full fender side card for the driver's side that also covers the wheel well, secured at the edge of the wheel well. I think there is another cover for the wheel well on the passenger side. No side card on that side.

Back