1957 seat foam - quality replacement??

MJ_Indy

MJ_Indy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm looking to purchase replacement foam for the seat in our '57 Bird, I find a couple of options with quite a difference in pricing. Most I find are around $250, with one from NPD for $457 stating it is far superior to lower priced products.
I'm not opposed to spending additional money if there is a difference in quality / fit / longevity, etc.

Anyone have experience with any of the replacements and how well they fit the frame and filled out the upholstery?

Any input is appreciated.

Mark

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm looking to purchase replacement foam for the seat in our '57 Bird, I find a couple of options with quite a difference in pricing. Most I find are around $250, with one from NPD for $457 stating it is far superior to lower priced products.
I'm not opposed to spending additional money if there is a difference in quality / fit / longevity, etc.

Anyone have experience with any of the replacements and how well they fit the frame and filled out the upholstery?

Mark
Mark-

I am asking the same question. What did you do?

Dave K

Mark
Mark-

I am asking the same question. What did you do?

Dave K

I had mine replaced by CASCO, they did a nice job but the foam is very stiff, not very comfortable. It may be as an original was but I wouldn’t know.

Thank you! I will call them and ask about which foam they use for their upholstery.

Dave K

I purchased the more expensive foam. The foam for a Thunderbird seat is simple enough i'm not sure it is much different from the less expensive options, Both the back and bottom are made up of 5 individual pieces of foam. I don't have the other to compare so not sure it is much different. I have not put my seat together yet to talk to comfort.

Phoneman

IMG_1014.jpg IMG_1017.jpg

I purchased the more expensive foam. The foam for a Thunderbird seat is simple enough i'm not sure it is much different from the less expensive options, Both the back and bottom are made up of 5 individual pieces of foam. I don't have the other to compare so not sure it is much different. I have not put my seat together yet to talk to comfort.

Phoneman

View attachment 5210 View attachment 5211
I’m new here and reading as much as I can in order to be working intelligently on this car. I see it has been two years later, have you had an opportunity to evaluate any differences. I ask this because, after bouncing my butt for 5 years now in my Chevy pickup, there is a serious change in the comfort level and even seat height. If there is a way to preserve any cushioning, I am up for that.

Mark

I would try CASCO - they sell the old style glued together foam. One company I think Larrys or Hills, forget which invested in an exruded all one peice process which costs more and sounds like it SHOULD be better. BUT I have been told by an experienced upholster that the original style covers that are sold, you can barely get over the extruded foam and it seems over-stuffed. I have the Casco foam but have not yet installed. I would call them.

Back