1957 Radiator overflow tube solder connections

Zoopie

Zoopie

Last seen
The radiator overflow tube is soldered to the overflow shunt off the radiator opening, easy enough, but where is the subsequent soldering connections for the tube to the radiator? Thanks in advance!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, I am. I have a overflow pipe coming 2 inches out of filler neck, this appears to be needed to be cut back else the "new" tube would be too far out from the side of the radiator. And then where is the downspout part along the side of the radiator get soldered too, or preferably connected like the gas filter is connected to the engine block. Any pictures would be appreciated!

Mine was separated at the neck as well, The Radiator shop had to replace the neck, not a big deal. The new neck had the nipple in it. Then I just ran a new hose down to my overflow tank.
Originally it would have just went down the side of the radiator and dumped under the car.

Mine was separated at the neck as well, The Radiator shop had to replace the neck, not a big deal. The new neck had the nipple in it. Then I just ran a new hose down to my overflow tank.
Originally it would have just went down the side of the radiator and dumped under the car.
Heh that actually scared the hell out of me one time. I had though my my radiator had blown a hole in it and the antifreeze had spilled onto the ground. Only when I opened the hood I realized it was just a hose that let any overflow run out onto the ground.

CSPIDY, Just our of curiosity where does one mount an overflow tank? And who makes it? I didn't see one offered at CASCO. I presume it has ears on the side to mount using the radiator mounting bolts so no new holes are required? I'm tired of my bird peeing on the floor of its cage after a drive.

Here is what I'm going to use for the overflow tank on my 56. The parts are from Summit and the 2 part numbers are 493072 and 491032 they are for a 1973-1981 Pontiac but the curve of the tank matched the fender curve.

IMG_0441.JPGIMG_0442.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have to drill new holes for this tank, I suspect so. My consentience won't allow me to drill virgin metal on old gals!

There was a existing hole on one side from what I don't know. I already had a second plate mounted on the right side that match the plate that is mounted under the windshield washer fluid bag so that was the second hole. On my car I then did need to add a third 1/4 inch hole. Another way to do it would be to make a mount plate that attaches to the overflow tank and then mount that plate using the 2 bolts that are close for the right side horn.

@ron56 I inserted your images into your post. You can see how this is done in this tutorial for future posts-

Last edited:
Did you have to drill new holes for this tank, I suspect so. My consentience won't allow me to drill virgin metal on old gals!
I'm a conscientious objector to drilling on otherwise correct antique cars too. Since it's a snowy night in Colordo with not much else to do I decided to fabricate a bracket using existing holes. I used a 26 ga sheetmetal, and I'm not an expert metal worker, but here's the finished installation. I used 3 of the 4 bolts on the shroud on the right upper side of the radiator. No new holes.
IMG_2052.JPG

Here are a few steps along the way - Used a NAPA/Dorman 'universal reservoir'.

IMG_2055.JPG
Then decided on a location. This was a little tricky - While it fits right next to the radiator, too high and cap will not clear the hood, too low and tank hits the upper A arm. Too far forward and the hood hinge where it mounts to the underside of the hood will hit leading edge of reservoir, too far back and the hose connection on the bottom will interfere with the upper A arm.
IMG_2046.JPG

I started with cardboard and made a bracket template. Once it seemed correct I transfered to the sheet metal and cut and drilled. Even once transferred to the metal it took a little trial, trim, trial but here is the bracket with the reservoir attached. (Like I said, I'm not a professional metal worker.)
IMG_2049.JPG

And from another angle:
IMG_2050.JPG

I have a rubber hose for the entire length on my overflow so I just unclipped it from the bottom of the 2 retainers and connected to the reservoir. If you have a metal tube running all the way down you'll need to get a hose to run back up the the reservoir outlet.
IMG_2053.JPG

Took about 2 hours including the trip to NAPA to find and buy a suitable reservoir. I had the sheetmetal lying around from another car project. Now my bird should stop peeing on the floor of the cage after summer drives... Hope this helps anyone not wanting to drill holes.

Last edited:
Back