1957 Power Switches location

57DukeofAle

57DukeofAle

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My '57 Bird has power windows and a power seat. The power window switch on the drivers side is on the aluminium piece and the power seat switch is located on the lower part of the door panel. The electrical diagrams from Ford show the opposite. What is the location of the switches on cars with these accessories? What' really out there?

Thanks,

Dukie

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My '57 Bird has power windows and a power seat. The power window switch on the drivers side is on the aluminium piece and the power seat switch is located on the lower part of the door panel. The electrical diagrams from Ford show the opposite. What is the location of the switches on cars with these accessories? What' really out there?

Thanks,

Dukie
Yes they are switched. The power seat switch is up top and the window switch is located in the lower portion of the door card.

This is a photo of my ‘57 with power seat on top and power windows on the bottom0876DDE4-5806-44A5-BA2E-EA6503FEA4FF.jpeg

Yes I think they are reversed. I've often wondered why the window switch is on the bottom. I use the window switch more often and the lower switch is difficult to get too. My car is in storage so I can't look but are the backing plates on the switches the same. Will they cover the existing marks and holes on the door card if reversed?

So I went out to the garage and VISUALLY confirmed that they are reversible. My lower power window switch has an escutcheon plate surrounding the switch but the upper seat one does not. Not that that would hinder any switching of the locations. Wiring my be the most limiting factor. I do not remember if there is extra length to switch them

i absolutely agree… once my seat is in position… it rarely gets touched again. My windows get opened and closed substantially more. Even my convoluted logic says “. Lower switch, seat…..upper switch, windows”

From what I can ascertain, His switches are already reversed so that answers the question of if there is enough slack to do it. I think they should have the same profile so moving them would not be an issue.
I don't have a power seat and I don't move it either. I think it was placed there as power seats were quite a luxury item at the time and wanted the controls to be right there. The selectomatic memory option was another story.

I just purchased this car in Dec 2022. It seems logical to me to put the switches as in my car and not the way Ford did it. I tried to put a tool to remove panels, etc. but I could not pry them out. I didn't want break anything as I do not know how they are held in place. That is why I am on this forum. I I have searched the Early Bird issues. I talked with CASCO Restoration and they said the wires would reach either way. Now my question is, can I remove the switches and not remove the panel?

Thanks to all,

Dukie

Once again, I don’t remember as I did this last summer…I remember tabs on the escutcheon plate that I used to bend around the door card. Whether it is correct or not I am not sure… I do know that my plates will not pull off the door card. They are secure

Yes you can. they are held in with friction spring clips. They pop out but with a little force like a plastic putty knife or spatula.
The reason you want to take the door card off is you need to disconnect the wires from the switches and feed them where you want them. As in an earlier post, label each wire and where it was connected to save a major headache trying to get them back in the proper place.

Ward 57: Thatnk you. That helps tremendously! I think I only need to reverse the red and yellow wires to the left motor and the same with the wires to the right motor.

Last edited:
Back