1957 My steering wheel hub is locked.

J

jsonny

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My steering wheel adjusting hub/ring is locked. Which way do I turn it to loosen the telescoping steering wheel?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My steering wheel adjusting hub/ring is locked. Which way do I turn it to loosen the telescoping steering wheel?
CW If the wheel will not go in/out now then CW should work. CCW locks the hub/sleve.

My car is getting a new muffler system so I can't personally check. But If I recall clockwise loosens it and counter clockwise sets it. Liberally soak it with penetrating oil and let it sit overnight. I think there are a few posts on here on the subject. Do a search. A non scratching strap wrench may help you crack it loose. Many people don't even know it is adjustable so it never gets exercised and freezes up.

As you sit in the car, facing the dashboard, the lock collar is turned clockwise to loosen. You may need a strap wrench (available at any parts store) to break the collar loose. The collar can be hard to turn, even under the best conditions.

CW If the wheel will not go in/out now then CW should work. CCW locks the hub/sleve.
I bought a strap wrench from Harbour Freight for a couple dollars. The strap is rubber. It is a life saver on collars that have sat up forever without being loosened.

Back